VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Does anyone know what software this information comes from?
    File Name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
    File Size: 169.71 MB (28XXXXXXXX bytes) Duration: 00:02:51.280 Format: MPEG-PS
    Video: MPEG-2 Video, PAL, 720x576 (16:9), 25.000 fps, 8 146 Kbps (9 796 Kbps), Top Field First
    Audio: AC3, 6 channels, 448 Kbps, CBR, 48.0 KHz
    (I altered the unimportant info for anonymity reasons)

Is this a Windows thing or what?
    The reason I'm asking is that the information in this "information" is wrong. Whatever is producing
    this info ALWAYS reports any AC3 audio as 5.1 audio....even when it is a 15 year old clip that is 2.0
    AC3 audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1. Metadata from the container's or A/V streams' headers,

or

2. from an online database that it matches up the material with (a la CDDB).

or

3. some tagging metadata tacked on (not likely).

Where (scenario) did you see this?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you have an old version of MediaInfo. I recall that is used to do that with many AC3 audio streams.

Ethelred
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's not my info....it's copied and pasted from somewhere else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The point I'm trying to make is that I see other people with videos(from as early as the 1970s) that contain the above information that claims the video has 5.1 audio....and it's completely false. I'm trying to find out what they are using so I can advise them to STOP using it and use something more accurate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK.

I do have this odd feeling that videos from the 70s had to be put in the MPG container a bit more recently than that.

So the source is likely a DVD and SOME DVDs have 5.1 on them despite the original film not being in 5.1 anything. Since you usually know what you are doing I will assume that it really is stereo and not a 5.1 conversion by a studio.

In which case I still suspect Mediainfo as I have seen it say a 2.0 was 5.1 in earlier versions. Windows itself doesn't know one MPG from another in XP. Don't know about the other versions. So I don't have a clue for Vista or Windows 7 on that.

Ethelred
    Quote Quote