VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I just installed a PCI-E firewire IEEE 1394 three port fire wire controller card for a desktop pc. I am using it to transfer my mini dv tapes but I don't have the software for it and have no idea what software to use. Appreciate any help for someone who knows nothing about the subject. I just want to transfer them to a MP4 file.

Thank you,

Cathy
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WinDV. No muss, no fuss.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Scenaiyzer Live is another option for DV capture. Once you have completed the capture, which will be an AVI file containing DV video and PCM audio, you can convert to an MP4 file containing H.264 video and AAC audio.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    (Hope that card uses a TI chip!)

You don't want to transfer them straight to mp4, unless you never will revisit those clips again, and ONLY want mp4 from now till forever, and won't be doing any fine editing of the material.
    You'd want to transfer, like normal, to DV-AVI (usually Type2). Then trim & edit, overlay, etc. Then save the master as either DV-AVI also (if you only did trim/edit) or some kind of Lossless/near-Lossless (if you did overlay, etc as well). Then convert THAT to mp4.

Then archive the works (original tapes, DV-AVI transfers, Master Output, and converted mp4). Oh, and it's also a good thing to save the EDL/Project of the edit timeline, as well as the converter parameters. Then you can always easily go back to any stage in the process and pick up again from there, should you need to.

Happy capturing!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Any suggestions on software and/or workflow? I'm transferring from a Sony Mini-DV using Scenalyzer Live and WinDV. I believe the DV-AVI files are Type 1. I would like to cut and paste clips (trim/edit) and save back as DV-AVI. Also, for sharing, after more heavy editing/correction/etc, I would like to convert/save as DVD and H264 formats. Is it better to do the latter in a 2 step process. (ie DV-AVI-->Lossless-->DVD or H264 or one step DV-AVI-->DVD or H264 for best quality? Looking Sony Vegas Studio for working and saving the DV-AVI files. What are recommendations for converting the DV-AVI to Lossless/DVD/H264?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you have the option, you'll find that more apps recognize DV Type2 rather than Type1, but whatever your workflow, adust accordingly. Type1 <--> Type2 are lossless conversion processes anyway.

There is probably a minor improvement if editing/compositing using lossless (or near-) vs using the native DV files, especially if doing nesting, multiple layers, or multiple passes/steps. However, it usually is quicker & therefore more efficient to keep as DV all the way to the end, particularly for simpler projects.
    Then and only then would you convert to your final formats. And, IIWY, I'd do a straight conversion from the edit master (however you choose to save it) to each of the needed formats - MPEG2 for DVD, H264/H265 for Mp4 & streaming,etc.

Remember, do the least harm. And that usually means fewest changes until necessary.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Swap from DV Type 1 to 2 with DVDate. The website is safe, despite Malwarebytes chucking a wobbly about it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I double checked and it is DV Type 2. Will most apps recognize it and convert it? Lossless, MPEG2, H264?
    Quote Quote