VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. Here's a clip from a TV programme. I converted it using MeGUI/DGDecode/QTGMC and the resulting file plays fine on my PC. However, I watch my vids on the TV using a Dune HD Solo Lite which is a terrific bit of kit. With this file, though, when the football is kicked down the pitch, there appear to be 3 balls - the real one and a shadow ball either side. Having been deinterlaced with QTGMC, this shouldn't be happening. I'm better off with the original .ts file.

Could someone confirm that a simple QTGMC is all that's needed here? And maybe suggest why my conversion is playing so oddly on the TV? Thank you.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try AssumeTFF() before QTGMC(). It looks normal here. Simple Bob() on the left (for reference), QTGMC() in the right:

[Attachment 54085 - Click to enlarge]

Make sure any noise reduction filters are turned off on your player.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Jul 2020 at 17:08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't convert any of my TV file recorded on my Beyonwiz as .TS, any conversion is going to introduce problems compared to the original - if it's something I want to keep then I'll put it in a MKV container to be played over my network on my Popcorn A-500
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks guys, especially jagabo for going to all that trouble. I played your encode on my TV/Dune and it looks better than mine despite it not being full-screen. May I see the script you used and also, what method you used to run it (I believe you don't use MeGUI)? Using AssumeTFF() made no difference.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by pooksahib View Post
    With this file, though, when the football is kicked down the pitch, there appear to be 3 balls - the real one and a shadow ball either side.
    Motion blur? You can't expect a sharp ball when it is fast moving. You will always get some motion blur.
    Quote Quote  
  6. True, but this is so much more than motion blur. My issue is that my deinterlaced vid is worse than the original.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by pooksahib View Post
    May I see the script you used
    The script was boring:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("Sports Mash sample.d2v") 
    StackHorizontal(Bob(0.0, 1.0), QTGMC())
    Removing the side by side Bob:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("Sports Mash sample.d2v") 
    QTGMC()
    Originally Posted by pooksahib View Post
    and also, what method you used to run it
    I encoded with the x264 command line encoder in a batch file:

Code:
    start /b /low "x264" "g:\program files\x264\x264-64bit.exe" --preset="slow" --crf 23 --keyint 50 --sar=16:11 --colormatrix=smpte170m --output "%~1.mkv" "%~1"
    Quote Quote  
  8. There's the issue - x264. I routinely use x265 and when I encoded this vid with x264 the result is good. As I said before, my x265 encode played fine on my PC but not on my TV using Dune player. I can only assume that the Dune HD Solo Lite handles x264 better than x265. Which is odd given that "It supports the majority of digital audio and video formats, including the most modern HEVC video codec...".
    Quote Quote  
  9. x265 does not support frame based interlaced encoding (like MBAFF of x264). It is purely field based, means each field is basically a distinct picture. You better forget x265 for interlaced encoding as you may not be able to play it properly with the usual SW players.

See
    https://x265.readthedocs.io/en/default/cli.html

HEVC encodes interlaced content as fields. Fields must be provided to the encoder in the correct temporal order. The source dimensions must be field dimensions and the FPS must be in units of fields per second. The decoder must re-combine the fields in their correct orientation for display.
    See also the discussion here:
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1891080#post1891080
    Last edited by Sharc; 7th Jul 2020 at 15:35. Reason: Link added
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for that, Sharc. In a nutshell, then, always use x264 to encode interlaced videos?
    My x265 encodes of modern HD vids and older SD vids (progressive) are excellent so I plan to continue using it in those cases.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by pooksahib View Post
    Thanks for that, Sharc. In a nutshell, then, always use x264 to encode interlaced videos?
    My x265 encodes of modern HD vids and older SD vids (progressive) are excellent so I plan to continue using it in those cases.
    Yes, correct.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Your video isn't interlaced after QTGMC.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I know - QTGMC is a de-interlacer. I must have said something ambiguous - was it "...always use x264 to encode interlaced videos"? If so, change that to "...always use x264 to reencode videos with interlaced content.".
    Quote Quote  
  14. Maybe I contributed to the confusion regarding x264 vs x265
    - When your source is interlaced and you want to re-encode and keep it interlaced, use x264 rather than x265.
    - However, when you deinterlace or bob-deinterlace (using QTGMC for example) the video, both x265 and x264 are fine because the video which is passed on to the encoder is now progressive.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Understood. In this particular case, the deinterlaced video (using x265) had terrible blur when played on my Dune player (although it played well on my PC). Deinterlacing with x264 fixed the problem. Why my Dune couldn't handle the x265 video, we'll probably never know. Perhaps the original video was just too old - TV footage of a 1970's football match. I've deinterlaced many times using x265/QTGMC and the results have played perfectly with the Dune.
    Quote Quote