VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Recently, I received a quick answer on solving a problem converting an .mov file to .mp4, using ffmpeg. The answer consisted of an exact ffmpeg command line statement that did the trick. I am very grateful for the expertise shared so generously, The thread where that happened is at this link: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/397631-Videoless-mp4-not-the-intended-sitaution

Now, if possible, I would like to learn how to be more self-reliant. I have another conversion problem, where I am not in the same hurry for a quick answer. What I would like to do is use this as an opportunity to learn how to do conversion so I don't so much help with every complication.

I have an assumption that needs validation. If the assumption is valid, I am hoping you can give me an idea where I find understandable, sufficiently comprehensive, well-organized information so I can form a systemic understanding of the knowledge needed to function for what I see as a fairly simple purpose.

ASSUMPTION That might or might not be valid
    Given a valid video/audio file, it always is possible to convert it to any other valid format using a properly installed and configured ffmpeg command line utility on a linux system.

MY REQUIREMENT
    I need to be able to convert video files that can be in any format into formats that work potentially in any device or operating environment, but most of the time, to run within web browsers using the html5 player. It is my understanding for best browser results, the html5 video control needs two video files presented as src elements:
    File 1 - .mp4 file with H.264 + AAC (or MP3)
    File 2 - either OGV (Ogg Theora + Vorbis) or WebM (VP8 + Vorbis)

One of the things that stumps me is there are more specs for these files than indicated above. For instance, I have an mp4 file that appears to meet all the specs I know to look for. It plays in a browser, but it plays audio only in Quicktime on a mac. I have no idea and even less idea how to translate video specs into ffmpeg statements. Here is the media info for that file:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	116
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	53789
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	107
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	53790

Where can I learn what I need to know to solve this problem?

Thank you.
    Last edited by carlarogers; 13th Jun 2020 at 12:12.
    Quote Quote