VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a few (very few thank heavens) very large (10GB+) video files (taken from bluray) which sadly cannot be streamed to my AppleTV. I didnt realise this at the time, and will have to arrange to have my BR disks re-ripped, UNLESS someone can point me at a tool that can downscale, and reduce the file size to something the AppleTV can manage. It just can't read the giant 1080p files, and the conversion I did try with Handbrake still left me with a 9.5GB file which the network fell over on.

Any suggestions? I have not delved into Handbrake settings, I just use defaults, because I don't know nearly enough about video to fiddle with them

Thanks in advance...
    Sue
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to do it with handrake. You just have to lower the bitrate. You either have to set a target or choose a much lower crf value - ie the higher the crf number the lower the bitrate is - counterintuitive I know but that is how it goes.

Originally Posted by kyteflyer
    I have not delved into Handbrake settings
    You will have to for this endeavor.

Just remember what you get is what you get. You will be losing quality with this conversion change no matter what you do. But if you want the convenience than understand that going in.

There are plenty of guides for handbrake out there.

Unfortunately I can't help you anymore with mac as I'm a pc guy (but I can use handbrake on the pc and I do so I have some experience with that). Good luck.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Yoda. I had a feeling it would be Handbrake or bust. I do have VisualHub still, but Handbrake seems the better option... and yes, I'm aware of the quality loss but if I want to stream these files they have to be 720p or less. I'll play with settings Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You must have one of the older Apple TVs that can't display anything above 1280x720. I'm not a fan of Apple TV as in my opinion there are much better products available in the price range from other manufacturers unless you have a lot of purchased iTunes videos and want a way to watch them. I don't know what kind of size you need to get down to, but you might try a bit rate of 6000 Kbps and if that's not low enough keep decrementing it by 1000 kbps until you find something that works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kyteflyer
    I had a feeling it would be Handbrake or bust.
    Actually it isn't so far as I know. I don't have a mac so I"m limited to knowing only about ivideo or whatever that is everyone talks about and handbrake. I know of no other programs for mac (sorry imovie isn't it?).

But try jman98's suggestion about finding a sweet spot. You might try using a movie trailer to work with so you have quick reencoding times. Unless you have a quad core or faster computer reencoding a whole movie is quite a time consuming process and trying to find just the right level will take a lot of time and trial and error.

Hopefully other mac users can suggest alternatives if handbrake isn't giving you the results you want.

Good luck.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, guys, I'll try your suggestions. But it seems I had an outdated handbrake *and* presets, so having updated those, I am trying it with the preset for AppleTV2 (AppleTv3 cant yet be jailbroken, so my AppleTv2 will be the go until I can get somehting else... funds being limited that isn't an option, currently)..

@jman98: What alternative to appleTV2 would you suggest/ I know it has a lot of limitations, and I had previously looked at but not bought, a WDlive setup... Wasnt sure which to get so got none. Other than that I'd get a mac Mini but there again its more money than is available to me, currently.

Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    I know of no other programs for mac (sorry imovie isn't it?).
    The available ilife programs are great for some things, but not for stuff like this
    Quote Quote