VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got some raw .dv footage - I want to apply a load of filters to it in AVIDemux, but AVIDemux only accepts Type 2 DV files.

I've searched and searched, but cannot find anything to convert it on a Mac. Anyone got any ideas?

Can it be done in ffmpeg?? Anyone have the correct command I'd need if so?

Am I correct in thinking that AVI will just be the wrapper, and Type 2 DV will be the codec? I don't want to lose any quality in the conversion.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Open your DV movie in Quicktime7Pro. Export as AVI using DV codec. It should make it Type2 automatically. Read my past posts about QT and Dv types 1 and 2...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. There is no quality loss, type 2 just interleaves the audio

You can search for type1 to type2 dv converting software, there used to be a bunch of free ones (I think ulead made one)

I'm pretty sure ffmpeg will do it (output will be type2)

ffmpeg -i input.dv -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.avi
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks. Don't have a copy of QT7Pro at the moment....

I tried doing the conversion in ffmpeg poisondeathray - and it now opens up in Avidemux.
    But it took a long time to do it, and the filesize became more than double!?? I'm not sure it hasn't transcoded it for that to happen???
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Gibson's Squares View Post

I tried doing the conversion in ffmpeg poisondeathray - and it now opens up in Avidemux.
    But it took a long time to do it, and the filesize became more than double!?? I'm not sure it hasn't transcoded it for that to happen???

Something went wrong then. It should be a few% larger, certainly not double

Double check the ffmpeg log and commandline

Under stream mapping it should say "copy" , if it doesn't then it might be re-encoding it

The speed is more dependent on your disk IO speed. That's usually the bottleneck. If you read from one drive and export to another drive it will be faster
    Quote Quote  
  6. In the commandline it says:

Input #0, dv, from 'Testttt.dv':
    Duration: 00:01:26.6, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 28800 kb/s
    Stream #0.0, 25.00 fps(r): Video: dvvideo, yuv420p, 720x576, 28800 kb/s
    Stream #0.1: Audio: pcm_s16le, 48000 Hz, stereo, 1536 kb/s
    Output #0, avi, to 'Test01.avi':
    Stream #0.0, 25.00 fps(c): Video: dvvideo, yuv420p, 720x576, q=2-31, 28800 kb/s
    Stream #0.1: Audio: pcm_s16le, 48000 Hz, stereo, 1536 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
    Stream #0.1 -> #0.1

Nothing that specifically confirms 'copy'. ??
    Quote Quote