VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to make a copy of Realflght s/w (on DVD) onto dvd's as a backup .

The RF DVD consists of folders, setup.exe etc etc . So its not a movie DVD. I made an ISO of the original but it's 6GB in size so cannot fit in one DVD. I tried using Gsplit but it wont work. I also tried MagicDVD Copier with the original Disk( not ISO) but the program keeps asking me to insert a disk .When I inserted the original Disk it does not recognize it. Is this because its not a video disk?

Please advise what can I try next .

TKs
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can also simply get a dual layer DVD. They are a little less reliable than single-layer DVDs, but most likely it will work just fine. I've burned dozens of them. Get the Verbatim DVD+R if you decide to go that route.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to use the backup instead of the original then your only option is a dual-layer disk.

But if you, for the time being, just want a back up you can simply burn some of the folders on to one disk (up to 4 gb) with the rest on a second disk.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    You can also simply get a dual layer DVD. They are a little less reliable than single-layer DVDs, but most likely it will work just fine. I've burned dozens of them. Get the Verbatim DVD+R if you decide to go that route.
    Can I use ordinary drive to record on dual layer DVDs ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    There is no Video on my disk . Just folders , setup files etc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I just looked it up. Apparently it's a flight sim. So, either buy a dual-layer DVD (yes, ordinary DVD-drives can burn it to disk), or put approximately half the data on one DVD and the rest on another. You'll be using ImgBurn to burn it as a data disk.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post
    You can also simply get a dual layer DVD. They are a little less reliable than single-layer DVDs, but most likely it will work just fine. I've burned dozens of them. Get the Verbatim DVD+R if you decide to go that route.
    Probably, yes.

You'll need to find out the manufacturer & make to know for sure. If you don't want to open up your computer to find out the exact model, you can probably get it by going to the Device Manager in Control Panel and clicking on the DVD drive. I just did this, just to be sure, for this laptop I'm using at the moment and I copied "PLDS DS-8A9SH" from the hardware listing and then pasted that into Google. I immediately got the specs from the vendor site, and the drive in this old Dell laptop that someone gave me a year ago does support "double layer" (their term for dual layer).
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post
    By ordinary drive you mean a dvd burner cause to me an ordinary drive is just a dvd drive for only reading discs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using Imageburn under device capability I confirmed that the DVD burner I have ( LG GP60) can write to DL DVDs. So I am all set. I will go buy some Verbatim DL dvd disks and save all the hassle of splitting files etc. Tks to all for your inputs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post
    Using Imageburn under device capability I confirmed that the DVD burner I have ( LG GP60) can write to DL DVDs. So I am all set. I will go buy some Verbatim DL dvd disks and save all the hassle of splitting files etc. Tks to all for your inputs.
    It's been five years since I last purchased dual layer discs. None of the manufacturers still makes top-quality discs, but at the time, pretty much 100% of the recommendations across the Internet said that this was the brand & model to get:

Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5GB 8X DataLifePlus White InkJet Printable

I have had perfect burns every time with this using my LiteOn burner.
    Quote Quote