VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Upon insertion of a disc the player searches and after 5-7 seconds it says "No Disc" and on TV it shows "This type of disc cannot be played.".

I thought it was the laser-unit which has gone bad or worn out or something, but I only have this problem with (all my) DVD discs and not with any Audio CD.

(I know the laser operates at another frequency for DVD and CD, but it's the
    same laser right?)

Any tips or suggestions on what you think it might be are welcome ofcourse

Cheers,
    MrSnake
    Sony DRU-500A v1.0d
    Toshiba SD-M1302 v1006
    Philips DVDR885P v1.7/8
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the same disc played before on that unit and doesn't play now, you may just have a problem with dust/smog accumulation on the laser objective lens.

Open up the player and use a cotton swab (Q-tip, etc.) and either denatured alcohol or some type of cleaner like "Windex" and spray a small amount on the swab (not on the laser!). Then rub the lens very gently on the top surface, then use the other end of the swab to dry the lens and finish the job.

Try playing the same disc again and see what happens. This is not a foolproof repair, you may have something else wrong, but it's a good place to start.
    Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply, but I already tried a lens cleaner disc and even cleaned it manually myself, without luck :/
    Sony DRU-500A v1.0d
    Toshiba SD-M1302 v1006
    Philips DVDR885P v1.7/8
    Quote Quote