VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. After much much much trying I've finally figured out how to rip a DVD, and produce a VCD with subtitles. Here's the setup:

K62-400
    128MB PC-100
    smartripper -> DVD2AVI -> VFAPI codec -> Virtual dub frameserved to TMPGenc.

BUT the encoding time is about 14x the runtime (ie. 1min footage takes 14min to encode). So a 75min film takes ~18hrs! Is that normal?!?

I'm planning to buy a AMD T-Bird 1.2Ghz 266Mhz FSB w/ 256MB DDR next week. Any idea how much of a speed improvement can I expect?

(now if I can only get rid of those horizontial lines, interlace problems???)
    Quote Quote  
  2. AMD 1.2gh 256 mbram ripping smartripper flaskmpeg frameserving to TMPGenc 4 hours for 90 min movie.
    Result the best i ever made.
    Greetz
    tj
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-08 01:06:33, t1955feb wrote:
    .....flaskmpeg frameserving to TMPGenc....
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm...
    I read once that you can do that, but I don't remember where, so I don't know how to do it!
    any related links to read about plz?
    Quote Quote  
  4. i went almost from the same type machine to a similar one that you're thinking, and it's a HUGE Improvement.

Quote Quote  
  5. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    I recently bought exactly what you are going to a t-bird 1.2 and 256 megs of ram I used to have a K6-500 and when i was encoding movies it was about 10 minutes in real time to do one minute in a rip, now that I have the t-bird its about 2 minutes 30 seconds per minute in the movie. Also it depends on what MHZ you hard drives are running at im at 100 mhz for both my drives hope that helps
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>
    Quote Quote  
  6. here's the link you wanted, it's how to frameserve through virtualdub to tmpgenc.http://www.flexion.org/video/DVDConv/DVD2AVI/
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have that exact setup, 1.2ghz and 256mb ram, a 23 min SVCD (from dvd) using your method (my favorite too) takes about 9 hours, running a 2 pass vbr and a high bitrate, and average vcd takes about 3-5 hours depending what filters and quality you want
    hope this hels!
    Stuff.....is Good
    Quote Quote  
  8. I am using P2-266Mhz, it takes forever (still encoding at this time !!! 18X to encode SVCD).
    Just order an AMD 1.2GHz with 256MB RAM, this seems to be the best bang for the buck based on comments found in this forum (THANKS). Can't wait for the new one to come in.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for all the replys. I want to make VCD of Japanese Anime DVDs with japanese audio and subtitles (so I'm using vitrual dub w/ vobsub frameserved to TMPGenc).

Sipacu, 2 pass VBR VCD 3-5hrs!!! Excellent, that's exactly what I want to run. I love this site!!!
    Quote Quote