VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DVD recorder Pioneer DVR-540H-S which I used many years ago but was shelved until recently.
    It has SCART connector that connects to my Sony TV which also has a SCART connector.
    The picture quality for the menus is not so great.
    It has also component output which I can connect to the TV, but I have never tried that because in the past I didn't have a long component cable.
    I have ordered a component cable yesterday 1.8m long so that should be long enough. It can take few weeks to arrive.
    My question is if I will see any noticeable difference when I use the component cable?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Component is the best you can get. Three individual baseband signals Y, Pb, Pr, unmodulated, no sharing or muxing. You should be surprised. But it can't be better than the source of course.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Component is the best you can get. Three individual baseband signals, unmodulated, no sharing or muxing. You should be surprised. But it can't be better than the source of course.
    Thanks. My source is the DVD recorder menus. I just want them to look hopefully as good as in HDMI output.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Scart is pretty old and sometimes not the best quality but seem to allways be working and is real easy to setup!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Component is better but if the menus are poor through SCART it suggests the composite channel is being used. The menus are generated internally in the DVD machine so they should be high quality. SCART can carry component, RGB or composite, I suspect you are using the composite signals.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by betwixt View Post
    Component is better but if the menus are poor through SCART it suggests the composite channel is being used. The menus are generated internally in the DVD machine so they should be high quality. SCART can carry component, RGB or composite, I suspect you are using the composite signals.

Brian.
    Thanks Brian. That's interesting. You are right I have three options to select. Composite, RGB and S-Video. I have selected the composite option. Will try the other options and see if I see a noticeable difference. But will the component connection be better than any of those options?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Your SCART cable and connectors need to be "fully wired" to support all options. It's advantage is that it supports video and audio.
    RGB and Component is not necessarily the same, but sometimes used exchangeably. You have to try. How are the RCA connectors on the Player and TV labelled?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Quality (from high to low):
    1. Component (Y,Pb,Pr) (or sometimes incorrectly referred to as "RGB")
    2. S-Video
    3. Composite
    Last edited by Sharc; 28th Dec 2023 at 09:56. Reason: Typos
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will make a test after the component cable arrives.
    The remote buttons are all sticky making the navigation a nightmare. I ordered a replacement hopefully it will arrive with the cable.
    Thank you all for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    RGB and Component is not necessarily the same, but sometimes used exchangeably.

Quality (from high to low):
    1. Component (Y,Pb,Pr) (or sometimes incorrectly referred to as "RGB")
    RGB is component and YPbPr is also component - difference between them is: RGB is primary type of component and YPbPr is derived from RGB (so it is secondary type).
    Quote Quote