VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. NickMDal
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I have the first two cameras. Since all shoot in MXF, how is it that the XC15 data rate is double these two XFs. Since it is not shooting raw, why the huge file size?

I understand it is a B camera to the cimema EOS camcorders, but is the XC15 image better than the 705?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The XC15 is using intraframe recording, not long GOP . Each frame is independent.

Long GOP means temporal compression is used, there can be fluctuations in the frame quality between I,B,P, but the compression efficiency is higher, that's why you can get away with using lower bitrates

Generally, if you have high enough bitrate, intraframe recording is better. But if you do not have enough, it can be worse

The 705 uses 10bit422 HEVC, its' a different generation of codec - it's not an "apples to apples" comparison

You cannot infer much using the data rate alone ; or any of these specs - there are many factors that go into "image quality" .
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 1st Oct 2020 at 15:51.
    Quote Quote  
  3. NickMDal
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much! I just added the XC15 to the XF400 as a second camera with needed features... and to open the door to future canon log recording. I am recording both direct to Ninja recorders (once I get another recorder). Any thoughts about the pair for multicamera shooting?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I haven't used either camera personally but I'd run some tests (before using them for an actual shoot) to see how easily you can get them to match up for a multicam shoot
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!