VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'm facing a rather frustrating problem trying to convert my old Video8 tapes to Digital format.

Ever since I bought my most recent computer (About 3 years old now) I've been having issues with Playback and Capturing DV video. My old PC had an in built Firewire port in the case which made it handy when converting tapes. When I bought my new PC all the latest and greatest cases didn't come with these ports so I bought a PCIe firewire card.

My Computer Specs are:

Intel Core i7-4930K
    Asus RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
    VIA 1394 OHCI
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
    Samsung SSD Hard Drive
    Seagate Sata 2 5900Rpm

The Camcorder I'm using is Sony CCD-TRV41E. This is also the Same Camcorder that was used to record the tapes I'm converting.
    The Device I'm using is the Canopus ADVC110.

The issue is at certain points of the tape the Playback into the PC would be laggy and pause for a second then resume. I originally thought this was from capturing however I tried a normal playback in a few different softwares and the same thing would happen. The Strange thing is whilst capturing these laggy parts there are 0 dropped frames reported. After capturing and playing the videos back using VLC and MPC the parts that are choppy in the capture just skip in these players. I then thought this was definitely an issue with either the camera heads or the tape itself, Though the playback is flawless on the camera screen and on the TV when directly plugging it in.

I did try a number of other things, I tried buying a new Firewire cable. I tried buying a new Firewire card with a different chipset, I also bought a ADVC500 thinking the Canopus was this issue and after all this the same problem occurs.

This issue started when I bought my new computer 3 years ago, at the time it was brand new. I did however successfully convert VHS tapes from a VHS player using all the same hardware except the Camcorder of course. It would be so strange if this is the tapes or Camcorder causing this, The playback is fine everywhere else. Also if this is a computer issue, then why did the VHS tapes work?

The only 2 things I haven't tried include another Camcorder or someone else's computer with a firewire port. Both are difficult to find since the technologies are old and no one just has them lying around anymore. Also the second hand Camcorders on Ebay are going for way too much money, especially if there's no guarantee it's going to fix the problem.

I'm all out of Ideas here and have no clue how to fix this (If even possible). I did find someone that seems to have a similar issue in this forum, though it was never resolved.

Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What software are you using for the transfer? I know you said no dropped frames reported, but that could be the problem. I used to use WinDv with good results. Might be some useful info in this thread - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/206699-DV-capture-Dropped-Frames-Main-Causes
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Check your IRQ assignments and make sure your FireWire card is not sharing an interrupt with something else.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Safesurfer View Post
    What software are you using for the transfer? I know you said no dropped frames reported, but that could be the problem. I used to use WinDv with good results. Might be some useful info in this thread - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/206699-DV-capture-Dropped-Frames-Main-Causes
    The main software I use is Adobe Premiere (Updated to latest Version), However due to this ongoing issue I have in the past tried Screnalyzer, WinDV, DV Capture and Virtualdub. All had the same issue.

Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Check your IRQ assignments and make sure your FireWire card is not sharing an interrupt with something else.
    I didn't think of that, though after triple checking all the numbers the card has it's own IRQ Channel, and the previous one I had installed has it's own as well.

Surely with the computer I have it could without a doubt handle this sort of thing. It was running fine on my old PC. I also thought it could be a problem with windows 10, though I had Windows 7 on this computer and upgraded. Both OS had same issue.

Quick update:
    After reading through the thread Safesurfer provided I tried some of the suggestions posted there. So far plugging an External hard drive and capturing Directly to that has done the trick. I still have to try a few more tapes though the last 1 hour of capturing has recorded without any hiccups.

I can't remember though I think my Bios has Smart Raid enabled. Which according to that thread is an issue while Capturing. I'm still a little skeptical because previously just the playback through the firewire was still having issues, not even capturing. I'll try some more on the External Hard drive.

Thanks for all your help.
    Last edited by Kal-El02; 30th Jun 2017 at 02:31. Reason: Update
    Quote Quote  
  5. Unfortunately it was all false hope. I did about an hour of capturing, Stopped the tape and capture, rewind the tape, then tried again from the start in a new file and it started the pausing again.

Both times the first video captured fine. I come to capture another and it starts lagging again. Very frustrating.

As stated in previous post both suggestions didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  6. This problem has really got me baffled.

Since my last post I have tried a number of different things to get this to work properly but still no results. For the record I have tried Disabling Hyper-threading and I removed a dying Hard drive that was really slowing windows (Windows was not installed on it though). I also turned up the fans in my computer to full in case the PCIe card is overheating (If that can actually happen).

Nothing seems to fix this. I did however see a pattern. For some reason I can play or capture about 40 minutes to 1h 20m worth of video before the pausing starts. Once it starts it usually skips at the same parts of the tape (on all different programs too). The strange thing is if I shut everything down and wait until the next day then replay and or capture from that same part it is fine, no pausing for the next 40 - 80 minutes.

I'm all out of ideas.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kal-El02 View Post
    This problem has really got me baffled.

Since my last post I have tried a number of different things to get this to work properly but still no results. For the record I have tried Disabling Hyper-threading and I removed a dying Hard drive that was really slowing windows (Windows was not installed on it though). I also turned up the fans in my computer to full in case the PCIe card is overheating (If that can actually happen).

Nothing seems to fix this. I did however see a pattern. For some reason I can play or capture about 40 minutes to 1h 20m worth of video before the pausing starts. Once it starts it usually skips at the same parts of the tape (on all different programs too). The strange thing is if I shut everything down and wait until the next day then replay and or capture from that same part it is fine, no pausing for the next 40 - 80 minutes.

I'm all out of ideas.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    But this 40-80 minute limit doesn't occur at all when streaming to a TV or playing back on the camcorder itself? If you haven't tried to reach that limit when not capturing, do try it. It could be an issue with your camcorder having an overheating issue.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Pendell View Post
    But this 40-80 minute limit doesn't occur at all when streaming to a TV or playing back on the camcorder itself? If you haven't tried to reach that limit when not capturing, do try it. It could be an issue with your camcorder having an overheating issue.
    While the camera is playing on the computer and the pausing occurs I watch the screen of the camera at the same time and it's playing without any problems. I have once plugged it straight into the TV just after the pausing started and still played fine.

I haven't tried playing from the TV for the full 40-80 minutes, though I thought since it worked fine straight after switching it from computer (while the pausing was happening) to the TV, the camera couldn't be the issue.

On the other hand I have just about switched everything except for the camera and motherboard. New PCIe Card, Different Hard drive (Both Normal and SSD), New Firewire Cable, new capture device.
    Quote Quote