VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    No one would deliberately broadcast in 1080p25fps if given the ability to do 24fps.
    There are digitally-shot shows produced natively at 25fps in Eurasia/AU/NZ, for whatever reason.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes but are they interlaced, which already exists so it's no big deal, or progressive? I would really be baffled as to the point of 25fps 1080p video, but I'm willing to be educated about it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't know whether they are PsF or actual progressive, but shows like Doctor Who and Sherlock are 1080p25 with 1080i25 credits.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone for the info. I appreciate it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought I'd let everyone know that I got a Japanese bluray and it plays perfectly on my sony bluray player.

I got the 1984 Godzilla (the Japanese version, not the Raymond Burr one). Its the pressed disc and its Region A. I popped it in and it started right away without any warnings or issues.

So it looks like if they issue an Asian release of the Roxette bluray so long as its Region A I should be able to play it in my sony bluray player without any issues.

I have yet to test my ps3 but if it works in my sony standalone bluray player I imagine it will also work on the ps3.

Anyway, I thought this would be a good update to pass along.

Also I can't wait for preorder information on the bluray. I haven't seen anything yet so here's hoping.

Edit - fyi it works a-ok on the ps3
    Last edited by yoda313; 14th Jun 2013 at 21:34.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Test

Can't you reply at all or maybe some very complex text that causes it?
    Last edited by Baldrick; 27th Dec 2013 at 19:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Edit - now it works - thanks Baldrick. I don't know what the problem was but I could not post no matter what. Here is what I wanted to say. Thanks again

I was in constant contact with db83 on this matter but I thought I'd put a review of the technical matters here.

Suffice it to say it is apparently region free but it will not play on either my ps3 or sony bluray player (a sony bluray player that is not a ps3 fyi).

The oddest thing is both hardware players don't outright refuse the disc. They just start the loading process (a blank screen) and then immediately go to the dashboard. There is no warning message. There is no refusal to play or stating incompatible region or format or anything like that. It just won't play.

Fyi it was bought through amazon.de, the German version of Amazon and it physically came from Germany.

I ended up watching the documentary on the computer with mpchc. I then proceeded to convert to h264 with ripbot so I could watch the concert itself without the computer.

Here are the disc specs from mediainfo:

roxette bluray.jpgClick image for larger version

Name:	roxette bluray.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	22374

Here are my converted specs that play fine on my wdtv gen 1 and my sony bluray player (the same one that won't play the physical bluray disc but will play this converted h264 file):

Click image for larger version

Name:	roxette bluray2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	22375

So long story short I can still watch the concert. Which I really did like. It was great seeing people enjoy their performance. It was really fun having the dedicated .1 lfe track on their to get the real depth of the music. Fyi I converted the dts main track to ac3 at 640kpbs as shown in the mediainfo file.

I haven't watched any of the bonuses on the discs so I'll be converting those sometime in the future as well.

Right now I'm planning on doing another conversion from my rip. I want to rip (edit oops I mean encode) to around 7gigs so I can burn to a dl disc and have an extra playable backup. I will also remux the new mkv to mp4 so I can play them in either my xbox 360 or ps3 instead of just the wdtv or sony bluray player. Unfortunately ac3 is not an audio option in ripbot for direct conversion when selecting mp4 as a container. No problem I'll remux the mkv with ac3 to mp4 after I'm done.

All in all I'm really glad I finally got it. I was surprised though the concert was shot at 2.35:1 widescreen or thereabouts. Usually it seems concerts are done at 1.85 or so. Regardless though the wait is over and I finally have it.

Thanks for your contributions on this matter.

And a special thanks to you db83

Edit - screenshots added finally
    Last edited by yoda313; 27th Dec 2013 at 20:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, the explanation for why it won't play was given earlier: Sony's Blu-ray players seem to be intentionally dickish about PAL-type frame rates. At least it does play the files for you.

Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Rip and merge to mkv,my sony bdp-s380 plays 25 and 50fps mkv with no issues but won't play blu-ray authored pal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It does seem odd to me why the US should balk at playing PAL rate BDs whereas over here there is no such issue playing NTSC rate. Maybe they are worried that their market will be flooded

As for the disk in question, as I mentioned to yoda313 in one of our PM exchanges, methinks the distribution company got it wrong if they had the knowledge about PAL rate. The band really does appear to have a world-wide fan-base and many are sure to be disappointed if they get hold of this disk and find they can not play it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by db83
    the distribution company got it wrong if they had the knowledge about PAL rate. The band really does appear to have a world-wide fan-base and many are sure to be disappointed if they get hold of this disk and find they can not play it.
    Actually I only got the one through the Germany amazon site. There may in fact be a ntsc release somewhere. I was just impatient and had to have it on hand. Though I won't be buying another one for awhile unless it turns out to be a "normal" price and not the high price i paid with the international shipping and highest price on launch day.

Originally Posted by vaporeon800
    Sony's Blu-ray players seem to be intentionally dickish about PAL-type frame rates. At least it does play the files for you.
    Yep its ashame I can't just pop in the disc itself. But I can play the files at least so that is something.

One thing i haven't tried yet is playing the original ripped folder. I have several 2tb harddrives so space isn't a problem even at 40 some gigs that the disc tops off at.

I'm just glad I can finally watch it.
    Quote Quote