VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I installed Windows 10 to run one thing: Handbrake newer upgrades.

I can't get Handbrake to simply load into the required Windows 10. I've installed a variety of Net
    frameworks then followed the Hb documents giving the link to Net 6.0.6 latest.

What am I missing here? What is needed? My install of Win10 to SSD is showing no other
    problems in loading software or logging onto the Net etc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you download and run the Handbrake installer version?
    It should have it included, or download it on the fly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Did you download and run the Handbrake installer version?
    It should have it included, or download it on the fly
    Just regular. How many can there be? I cleaned out any duplicates With RevoUninstaller, then did what I thought was a clean install. It just stalls out. Maybe you have a series of links to get the right components.

What I can do as a check is install Vidcoder which is a Handbrake shell developed independently (link is at github) What I'm using on Win7 now 1.3.3 is ok and works. But there may new developments unique to 1.5.x and so on in the future. Frankly Win10 is not easy for me to use: too many "features."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Check if exists a folder like this:
    C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Handbrake (where xxx=your user name on windows)
    If so, delete it (it will be created again automatically) and restart Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for answering. I'll report back any progress and will also put VidCoder on to see if that
    loads properly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. first install vidcoder which keeps the necessary libraries, and then install Handbrake and you will see that everything will work on windows10. Handbrake does not have an optimal installation and this create many problems with windows10.
    Last edited by mindphasar; 8th Jun 2022 at 02:35.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the reply. I'm aware that libdvdcss2 is needed as well.

I'll do a delete of the Hb and follow your advice.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Vidcoder installed no problem just from the vidcoder site. Still no Handbrake load.

I'm using the Windows 7 Shell program to get rid of the Win10 look and features and intrusions. That is one thing I did not mention but it does not interfere with Vidcoder.

It did show on a double click a box asking if it wanted to get the newest whatever. I already had that so nothing further. But the program does not load and no error message provided for a problem such as you need one of the numerous Net Framework downloads. In the Handbrake folder I put the libdvdcss dll as well. It's just irritating. I can use Vidcoder in a pinch.

But perhaps someone here can say if there are any _known_ advantages to the Windows 10 version other than adapting to a Microsoft OS version. (new paint, old OS.)

The Win10 install is on an SSD as a test boot drive. I'm not going to make any sort of duplicate to test the hardware since Vidcoder loads fine. I've done everything I can and am ready to leave it, perhaps to try an upcoming version. For now I'll keep on with Handbrake1.3.3.

One last thing. I know Vidcoder is a good program and had it for years. But there was always a screen display problem. On this latest Vidcoder under Win10 that looks to be fixed or the new OS is handling it better. It's a good solution for now.

Thanks to all who have replied.
    Quote Quote  
  9. One afterthought on this. I dislike giving up on it. I tried the workaround of installing the current Vidcoder onto Win 7 for the purpose of getting whatever core functionality has been improved. It errored out with a missing DLL:

api-ms-win-core-winrt-|-1-1-0.dll

error code 3221225781

and says contact the developer. So I did. I sent a mail to RandomEngy and will see if there is any response. It's likley he has seen the question all too often but worth a try.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Latest Vidcoder not fully compatible with Windows 7.
    Developer says it may or may not work:
    https://github.com/RandomEngy/VidCoder/discussions/974
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ok I found the non-working part. But that answer does leave room for a change.

thanks Davexnet
    Quote Quote