VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there software available where I can convert basic txt files with entries (HH:MM:SS) and filenames similar to the videos into workable chapter entries during playback?
    It'll probably mean changing file extensions to whatever file extension which can be read by media players such as MPC.

I'm not seeking to merge the files with MP4s or such. I just want to leave as is apart from the format of the txt files.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Chapters (in a specific txt format) are typically embedded in mkv. This is supported by video players.

mpv seems to have an option enabling use of an external chapter file (when playing mkv ?), but I haven't tried it:
    --chapters-file=<filename>
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks!

I'll check it out.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't think it's currently supported by video players, but it's worth noting that youtube uses a very simple syntax for its timed-text chapters.

Video players also have features such as playlists (different files) or favorites (bookmarks to a time in a given file).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    The author of chapterEditor has recently added the capacity to make Matroska chapter files from the clipboard or from plain text files - the beta version (1.32 branch) is at https://www.reddit.com/r/chapterEditor/comments/ufybr7/convert_a_text_file_of_chapter_times_to_xml/.

To use chapterEditor to make Matroska chapter files
    1. Input: from the clipboard, or from a plain text file in UTF-8 (e.g. from Notepad), with one chapter per row and the start-time of each chapter as hh:mm:ss; there is an option to include chapter names separated from the times by a space (ChapterTime - space - ChapterName). Sample file here.
    2. In chapterEditor, select "Chapter editors" (top left).
    3. Select "Matroska" button to the immediate right of the "Chapter editors" button.
    4. In the menu bar, select Matroska menu then "New", then Matroska menu "Clear".
    5. Ctrl-V to paste from clipboard, or "File" (top center) to load a file.
    6. "Save As" (top right) to save XML file.
    7. In MKVToolNix GUI, select "Multiplexer" (top left).
    8. Select "Input" tab (top left).
    9. Drag your target video file into the "Source files" section.
    10. Select the "Output" tab (top left).
    11. In the "Chapters" section (center right), select the grey file icon to load the XML file you made in chapterEditor.
    12. Select "Start multiplexing" (bottom center).
    Quote Quote