VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. It looks as though I'm not the only person having this issue!

I'm burning disks on my DVD+RW drive. They play back fine on there and on my DVDR 880 (and other DVD players for that matter). However, on my DVD ROM I get the message "Disk is not Formatted - Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows"

This implies to me something is up with my DVD-ROM drive (which will happily play commercial DVDs and finalised DVD+Rs from my DVDR880, although not DVD+RWs without amended bitsetting) - can it be fixed though?!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.

It's usually a sign that you have an older DVDROM drive. That is it's 1st or 2nd generation technology.

I have 2 DVDROM's. One is a newere 16x unit and rips at 2x but reads anything. The other is quite old and rips at 7x, but won't read DVDR/DVDRW (+ or -).
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  3. I suspected that may be the case, but why will it play DVD+Rs from my DVD recorder but not from my DVD-RW drive?!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by qprfact
    I'm burning disks on my DVD+RW drive.
    Please clarify.

The discs in question that will not play in your computer are +RW's FROM a Philips machine(DVD Recorder)?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry! The DVD-ROM drive will play finalised DVD+Rs from my Philips DVD recorder, as well as commercial DVDs. It will play DVD+RWs from my Philips if I apply the compatability bitsetting on my Philips machne first.

It will not play DVD+Rs burned on my DVD+/-R drive (which is on the same PC), even if they are the same media as those burned on the Philips, etc. These disks do, however, play on the DVD+/-R drive itself and on my Philips.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The DVD-ROM drive will play finalised DVD+Rs from my Philips DVD recorder, as well as commercial DVDs. It will play DVD+RWs from my Philips if I apply the compatability bitsetting on my Philips machne first
    OK....That makes sense. That would be "protect" on my old Philips 985.
    I was thinking you had forgotten to "protect" or "make compatible" on the RW discs from the Philips.

Yep....my quess would be that you have one of those FUNKY DVD-Rom drives that just wont recognise THAT disc setup.

My Samsung Combo drive has trouble with protected +RW's from my Philips 985....sometimes. It hates the discs recorded in LP(3 hour) mode the most.
    Quote Quote