VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have the following VOB (https://mega.nz/#!dkxmjKiQ!dYRMbmE0wofmn1bsI2YxN9Ios8l0hyPvKkQgcZMx6kM) that has a lot of combing. I am unsure on the best approach to get rid of it. It seems that most frames are interlaced, but running QTGMC(FPSDivisor=2) introduces a little jerkiness. I believe this is due to some frames being fully interlaced and others just being combed due to hard telecine. But I can't see a pattern that would work with TFM(). So far the best solution on the eye is QTGMC() with double frame rate and TDecimate() to get rid of some of the duplicates, but the result is 40 fps. I assume the original film was 29.97 but can it be restored?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's a field blended frame rate conversion. Use QTGMC().SRestore(). That will return it to the original 23.976 fps. If you want 25 fps for PAL use AssumeFPS(25) afterward. But that will require adjusting the audio too.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Sep 2019 at 07:50.
    Quote Quote  
  3. SRestore wasn't easy to install but it does the job alright thank you. Will I run into some trouble muxing audio and subtitle tracks though? I'm not sure how it works, I assume they are timed for 25 fps, but I'd rather keep the 23.976 framerate. I'll have to try.
    Last edited by ZetaStax; 11th Sep 2019 at 09:04.
    Quote Quote  
  4. SRestore() does not change the running time. It decreases the frame rate by discarding blended frames. The DVD audio and subs will be in sync if you leave the frame rate at 23.976 fps. Why do you want 29.97 fps?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry it was a typo I meant 23.976 indeed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Have you managed to make SRestore work with MT? If add a call to Prefetch at the end of a script with SRestore I get the following error: "I don't know what 'dm' means."
    Quote Quote  
  7. The later versions of SRestore that I have gives the same error with 64 bit AviSynth+. But I have an older version which works -- at least with YV12 video. It's version v2.7e, dated 2011. If you can't find it I can zip it up and post it here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I did not find 2.7e but I found a more recent version of grunt that fixes the issue http://www.mediafire.com/file/77uromd0j0z56ap/GRunT-1.0.2tst.7z/file

However the encoding is still as slow, is this because of SRestore?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ZetaStax View Post
    However the encoding is still as slow, is this because of SRestore?
    No, it's fast. It's QTGMC slowing you down, if you're using it with default values.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The thing is, it's slower with SRestore. QTGMC sure slows my encoding down to 20 fps, but with SRestore on top it drops to 11. I also get 11 fps when I remove Prefetch, can't be a coincidence.

Probably MT isn't working despite the error being fixed, I'd love to try 2.7e if you can upload it jagabo.
    Last edited by ZetaStax; 11th Sep 2019 at 14:33.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I did some checking of my own and you're right. Using SRestore after QTGMC doubled the encoding time (halved the framerate) as compared to using QTGMC alone.

Blame the crappy DVD of the film and the crap company that released it. I usually let my unblending encodes run overnight.

SRestore is absolutely necessary. There are faster (but not better) bobbers, including QTGMC itself which can be speeded up with different settings.
    Quote Quote  
  12. If you can live with Yadif(mode=1) rather than QTGMC you'll get much faster processing.

Originally Posted by ZetaStax View Post
    I found a more recent version of grunt that fixes the issue http://www.mediafire.com/file/77uromd0j0z56ap/GRunT-1.0.2tst.7z/file
    Thanks for that. It worked for me too.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Staying on topic, what is your method when detecting whether a clip should be restored, ivtc'd or anything else? In this particular movie that I have (unfortunately I cannot seem to be able to cut the VOB to upload a sample, ffmpeg ignores the duration flag...) I am unsure what to do. It's 29.97 NTSC source that displays a pattern of 5:1 combed frames but not constant. I've tried restoring it to 25 fps and 23.976 fps but I'm still seeing some ghosting. Which is why I'm asking: how can I detect what would be necessary in that instance?

And if you know of a better way to cut a VOB I would gladly hear it so I can show you what I mean.
    Quote Quote  
  14. You probably want QTGMC().SRestore. You can cut a sample of your VOB with DgIndex (included in DgMpegDec DgMpgDec ). Open your VOB, mark-in, mark-out, File -> Save Project And Demux Video. Upload the resulting .M2V file.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Alright let's try this https://mega.nz/#!l8Y3iY6Z!JCrXdtAbOr96Z1JY_Gak0AwnwG_s6eMzzzzL5a-gVuc

You're probably right about QTGMC().SRestore() but the result isn't too great. However I'm starting to believe that this is irremediable and due to an awful mastering...
    Quote Quote  
  16. There's too much blending in the video to get it back to clean film frames.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yeah that what I thought... would you still go for QTGMC().SRestore() here though? Or leave it at QTGMC(FPSDivisor=2) maybe?
    Quote Quote  
  18. It's a tough call. My first instinct with problems like this to use 60p (it will only look as bad as the source). But 30p with simple decimation actually looks a little better with this video. 25p is actually the correct frame rate (by counting unique frames). But because of the excessive blending it ends up looking jerkiest. Check other shots and go with what you like best.
    Quote Quote