VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I'm learning some typesetting and I came across this particular problem. When I time some signs to the video in aegusub, it looks ok in the preview window, but when I actually open the video with MPC, almost all of the signs dissapear some milliseconds before the frame ends. Now this is barely noticeable unless you really look for it, but it really bothers me.

Notice in the time in the first picture

And now the time of the sign in Aegusub

0:20:13.712 - 29100 is the last frame for the sign, but MPC says otherwise and because of that, there is 40ms of missing sign.

Why does this happen? Am I doing something wrong?
    Last edited by asakurato; 17th May 2018 at 10:13.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think I solved this by adding lead out to the line, so should I always use it? Probably a very dumb question, but hey, I'm begginer.

Edit: Unfortunately, that only worked for one sign, so I still need help about this.
    Last edited by asakurato; 17th May 2018 at 10:44.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Most likely it's because of frame-inaccurate seeking. Last time I've been subbing was back in 2010, so I'm not entirely sure... I think you have to use AVISynth...:
    1. try installing AVISynth 2.6 (http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page);
    2. then download FFMS2 (https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases), and unpack ffms2.dll from `ffms2-2.23.1-msvc.7z\ffms2-2.23.1-msvc\x86` into some directory;
    3. now create AVISynth script `video.avs` (plain text file with ASCII encoding; encoding matters only if your operating system has default language other than Latin-based):
      Code:
      LoadPlugin("d:\ffms2.dll")
      FFVideoSource("d:\video.mkv")
    4. finally, open `video.avs` in Aegisub as you would Matroska/MKV.

FFMS2 GitHub page says 'frame- and sample-accurate access (usually)', and that 'usually' is kind of unreliable. Alternatively you could try to use DSS2 filter (just replace `FFVideoSource` with `DSS2` in the AVISynth script) from avss.dll that was shipped with K-Lite Codec Pack (at least this was true in the long gone past).

BTW, FFMS2 is a bit slow on the start because it must create 'index' of the file. The bigger the file the slower it will be. Also, because there's no way to pass keyframes through AVISynth, if you will do scene-based timing you may want to open video directly in Aegisub, save keyframes, then open same video as AVISynth video and load those keyframes.

P.S. Just noticed that Aegisub forums are no more... I've been using Aegisub as far back as 2008, and it's kind of heart braking...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by 8day View Post
    Most likely it's because of frame-inaccurate seeking. Last time I've been subbing was back in 2010, so I'm not entirely sure... I think you have to use AVISynth...:
    1. try installing AVISynth 2.6 (http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page);
    2. then download FFMS2 (https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases), and unpack ffms2.dll from `ffms2-2.23.1-msvc.7z\ffms2-2.23.1-msvc\x86` into some directory;
    3. now create AVISynth script `video.avs` (plain text file with ASCII encoding; encoding matters only if your operating system has default language other than Latin-based):
      Code:
      LoadPlugin("d:\ffms2.dll")
      FFVideoSource("d:\video.mkv")
    4. finally, open `video.avs` in Aegisub as you would Matroska/MKV.

FFMS2 GitHub page says 'frame- and sample-accurate access (usually)', and that 'usually' is kind of unreliable. Alternatively you could try to use DSS2 filter (just replace `FFVideoSource` with `DSS2` in the AVISynth script) from avss.dll that was shipped with K-Lite Codec Pack (at least this was true in the long gone past).

BTW, FFMS2 is a bit slow on the start because it must create 'index' of the file. The bigger the file the slower it will be. Also, because there's no way to pass keyframes through AVISynth, if you will do scene-based timing you may want to open video directly in Aegisub, save keyframes, then open same video as AVISynth video and load those keyframes.

P.S. Just noticed that Aegisub forums are no more... I've been using Aegisub as far back as 2008, and it's kind of heart braking...
    Yeah, basically only the site works now. But, there is still an IRC channel and I actually got the answer there. The problem was with the muxing. Apparently there is bug in Aegisub where if the video is muxed with delay (I don't know exact term, I think it was this), this problem would occur. As I was trying videos from same source (Horriblesubs), I was getting same result. Once I demuxed audio from video, signs worked properly and also videos from other sources also worked properly.
    Quote Quote