VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Been toying around with AnyDVD and Handbrake. I have used Handbrake a lot in the past with changing home movies around but never really with Bluray.
    I really want to keep the lossless audio on some of my bluray rips. I have read I may need to use Staxrip instead and I did play around with it. It was confusing whether it was really going to take the lossless or reencode into something lower.

Is there a guide or something I can use to learn how to keep the lossless audio? I don't see the point in doing this if I can't get the lossless, I'd rather just throw in the bluray.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use MakeMkv if you want everything lossless.

But I guess you want to shrink the video part. In HandBrake under audio check if you can choose copy or pass through the audio track.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I use VidCoder, a different GUI for Handbrake that allows some options not seen in Handbrake. VidCoder has a setting in the Audio tab called Passthrough, which will let you keep the existing audio stream. May still exist in Handbrake, but its been a long time since I tried to use Handbrake.

Where do you intend to play these videos? Many portable devices will have problems with DTS HD MA or Dolby True HD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Use MakeMkv if you want everything lossless.

But I guess you want to shrink the video part. In HandBrake under audio check if you can choose copy or pass through the audio track.
    You know I never thought about it but just leaving it the size MakeMKV saves is preferable in this case I suppose. It ended up 20gb but I may save 5-10gb messing around with it, not really worth the hassle. In these few cases where I want the FullHD audio I can live with bigger files. I am planning on shrinking other non Concert blurays with normal compression but I'll just leave it as this for now. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    I use VidCoder, a different GUI for Handbrake that allows some options not seen in Handbrake. VidCoder has a setting in the Audio tab called Passthrough, which will let you keep the existing audio stream. May still exist in Handbrake, but its been a long time since I tried to use Handbrake.

Where do you intend to play these videos? Many portable devices will have problems with DTS HD MA or Dolby True HD.
    I do like Handbrake though, for the HD audio tracks what do you do with them? I would like to keep them if possible but not if its hours of extra work. Do you just downscale it to the DD or DTS like DVDs have or do you try and save them? I'm asking cause maybe I am overthinking this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TheWalrusKing View Post
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

I do like Handbrake though, for the HD audio tracks what do you do with them? I would like to keep them if possible but not if its hours of extra work. Do you just downscale it to the DD or DTS like DVDs have or do you try and save them? I'm asking cause maybe I am overthinking this.
    If I'm using VidCoder, I'm doing so for portable devices, like my Nexus 7. So, keeping the HD audio is never on the agenda for me when compressing to much smaller sized video. Normally I make mkv files with AC3 or AAC audio. Using the passthrough setting would keep the original audio, but the audio stream would rival the video in size, and be incompatible with my device.

MakeMKV seems like a good solution for your needs, as long as you can live with the large files. When I rip to hard drives for my HTPC, I use AnyDVD HD to do the actual rip, and BD Rebuilder for compression, keeping the video in Blu-ray format at roughly 23gb per movie. With BD Rebuilder, I can keep HD audio if I feel it is necessary, or convert to AC3.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!