VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Guys, I have been reading a few of the posts on this site, and I def know the knowledge is on here, and follow a few threads, but I am missing something.

So basically I had a couple of old VHS, which I used a DVD recorder to convert to DVD.. It was better quality that some of the USB converters.

So I now have 3 hours of footage on 3 DVD's which I want to edit down a little.

I ripped the DVD's with Handbrake, but noticed that the quality dropped significantly. I was going to bring them into pinnacle (which I have used before) was concerned that the quality was going to degrade massively.

So after reading a few threads, this is what I picked up.

1. There is no need to "rip the DVD" - you can simply copy the VOB files from the DVDs

Click image for larger version

Name:	files.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	35205

So I copied the VOB files.

2. One guy suggested Cuttermaran (so I downloaded that) - However this does not seem to insert VOB files.

3. I then read a different thread that suggested PCGdemux - (I assume to convert from VOB to MV2) it was looking for IFO files which the folder did have but, still didn't work.

I also have Muxman downloaded and IMGburn, (for when I have it edited, but for now I cant get to the edit stage)

So yeah, I am a Noob!!!!

What am I doing wrong?

Anyone able to walk me through this?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  2. try vob2mpeg. Pinnacle should be able to import .mpeg or .mpg files (mpeg2 video, in mpeg2 program stream)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try VOB2MPEG on your DVDs. It will give you one, giant lump of editable video to cut with either Cuttermaran or another free lossless cutter. VOB files only exist within a DVD, they are useless and confusing in any other area.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by baggies99 View Post
    So I now have 3 hours of footage on 3 DVD's which I want to edit down a little.
    If by 'edit down' you mean to cut some parts out, then VobBlanker can easily do that without losing any quality at all. If you mean something else or something in addition, then it won't be the program to use.
    Last edited by manono; 14th Jan 2016 at 18:08.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok,will try that in next 24 hours. Was travelling all day today so just seeing the replies now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so Vob2mpg gave me one (Big ass) mpg file.. (about 4gb) - but cutterman only allows mpv, m1v and m2v.. (whatever they are)

So I guess I have an mpg version of the video on my desktop. (good start)

It does import into Pinnacle. and I will give it a go, but last edit on pinnacle made the audio out of sync..

I will also look at Vobblanker will let you know how I get on
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by baggies99 View Post
    Ok so Vob2mpg gave me one (Big ass) mpg file.. (about 4gb) - but cutterman only allows mpv, m1v and m2v.. (whatever they are)
    Those would be the video only. If you still want to try, you can demux (separate audio from video) using DGIndex (File->Open followed by File->Save Project and Demux Video).

If you want to cut pieces from your MPG without demuxing, MPEG2Cut2 can do that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK so did a little edit on Pinnacle: The 4gb file would be reduced down to 2.8gb in the Mpeg 2 settings (with DVD compatible) - When i watched the files side by side (using VLC) there was very little if any difference in the visible quality. So I assume that I will continue on with Pinnacle for now.

By the time I finish, I should have three mpg files all 30 -40 mins long and about 1-2gb in size.

Question: When recording to DVD, is there an optimum file size or does it go by video length? Should I be aiming for 1 DVD or 2?

Should I use Pinnacle? Img Burn? I also have adobe premier elements, but not installed at the moment.
    Quote Quote