VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Guys

Totally new to editing, so please bear with me.

I would like to edit existing .mp4, .wmv, or .flv files (usually from Internet):
    cut commercials at the beginning, during or at the end

From official DVD9 files (if possible of course) cut out a specific scene.

Preferrably software should be userfriendly, as this is basically all what I do want to do.
    I.e. contrary to the many experts here and I don't intend to do any complicated things.

I have looked at PowerDirector, VideoReDo and TMPGEnc, but honestly donot know what to choose.

The formats as per attached png should be supported though.

Oh, btw, whilst here, I downloaded a mp4 file (550MB) - needed a very small part only (maybe 1-2minutes)
    Avidemux did the job.
    I kept the very small part.
    Whilst playing on my pc, the subtitles were displayed, as per original (burned in, i.e. no separate .srt or something)
    I then copied the mp4 file to USB thumbdrive and played the file thru my media player.
    The subtitles were not displayed there.
    Weird...
    any suggestions/solutions?
    =

Many thanks for the advice!
    =
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe solveigmm video trimmer. It's not free though.

Or use several editors like avidemux, asfbin (wmv), mpg2cut2, video to video converter, etc.

I don't think any editor can edit and keep switchable subtitles in a mp4. You must probably extract them with mymp4boxgui / mp4box and then edit the sub and it back to the mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Also not free TMPGenc Video Mastering Works 5, it is user friendly, can handle subtitles, can handle all the formats you've mentioned. Will not directly handle copy-protected DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ....and to help save you some time and trouble....

Are you are aware that the MediaInfo report panels you spent so much time converting to png contain plain text
    that can be copied and pasted into your reply? Just thought it might save you some trouble later.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 04:44.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Maybe solveigmm video trimmer. It's not free though.

Or use several editors like avidemux, asfbin (wmv), mpg2cut2, video to video converter, etc.

I don't think any editor can edit and keep switchable subtitles in a mp4. You must probably extract them with mymp4boxgui / mp4box and then edit the sub and it back to the mp4.
    Thanks a lot.
    Thing is, there are so many editors
    So, frankly speaking, that is making it a pretty difficult to choose from. That's the reason why I have provided the tech.details of most of the videos, i.e. which one supports all these formats/codecs, whatever...
    Am not sure if all support .wmv for example.
    Whilst using the editor just once in a while only, I prefer to stick to 1 editor only, if possible, so at least I might know my way around in that one..

As for the mp4: there is no separate subtitle.
    It was a small part from tv broadcast that I save as .mp4, it included subtitles.
    As said: on my pc the small .mp4 was played back including subtitles (using VLC player)
    I then copied it to USB thumbdrive, and played it back from my media player on the tv screen. Playback fine, sound fine, no subtitles.
    (Of course there were no subtitles 'selectable' either).
    I did it again, saving the clip as .avi: same story, on my monitor everything is fine, on tv screen no sub.
    First time I have seen this...

Another strange thing is: when playing back the small .mp4 or .avi - everything goes fine/is in sync, sound, subs.
    When VLC finishes the playback (so, usual black screen), the sound goes on: the last line of spoken text is repeated, 1x only.
    =
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Also not free TMPGenc Video Mastering Works 5, it is user friendly, can handle subtitles, can handle all the formats you've mentioned. Will not directly handle copy-protected DVDs.
    TVMW5 is not a smart-rendering editor. Re-encoding lossy formats = no-no. But use whatever you want.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 04:44.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Also not free TMPGenc Video Mastering Works 5, it is user friendly, can handle subtitles, can handle all the formats you've mentioned. Will not directly handle copy-protected DVDs.
    I did have a look at Mastering Works, already.
    Reason for mentioning the 'Renderer 4' here, is that seems more dedicated to merge split cut-edit??

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr4_feature.html
    TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 4 is video editing software with the remarkable ability to merge, split and cut-edit MPEG videos not by entirely re-encoding (compressing) the output like typical editing software, but by applying a minimal encode process called "Smart Rendering" which limits re-encoding to the edited points of the files.

The 'Mastering' can be found under 'Products->Convert Video'
    http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/convert.html
    As conversion is not really necessary, I looked at the other product, Renderer 4.
    So, you see, already within 1 brand it is difficult to choose

Then we have Power Director, Adobe Premiere Elements, VideoReDo, Avidemux and so on..and so on..

Maybe I should just give it a try.

Thanks
    =
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    TVMW5 is not a smart-rendering editor. Re-encoding lossy formats = no-no. But use whatever you want.
    I read this just now.
    Eh... for my purpose... is this a 2nd choice?
    Sorry, no offence meant to smrpix...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    ....and to help save you some time and trouble....

Are you are aware that the MediaInfo report panels you spent so much time converting to png contain plain text
    that can be copied and pasted into your reply? Just thought it might save you some trouble later.
    Thanks for the tip.
    I was afraid text would mix up/wrap etc.
    So, indeed I put them all together, removed as much greyspace as possible to make the screenshot small
    and was hoping that the forum wud display them as a thumbnail, so one needs to click on it to view the contents.
    Regretfully the forum displays it 'full size' (or I might have selected the wrong option), taking a _lot_ of space and not really my intention.
    =
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    No offense taken. TMPGenc VMW is a good choice for a newbie combining multiple formats into one video. I also use their MPEG Smart Renderer whenever possible to maintain maximum quality. I like, use and would recommend both products for different reasons.

Sanlyn tends to be a bit of an absolutist on no quality loss, and he's very skilled and knowledgeable on how to achieve that. I believe there are sometimes other factors to consider.

To accomplish all you have described will require several different tools to do optimally -- or one to get you started decently.

Most of the paid programs have free trials, so no harm in checking them out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    No offense taken. TMPGenc VMW is a good choice for a newbie combining multiple formats into one video. I also use their MPEG Smart Renderer whenever possible to maintain maximum quality. I like, use and would recommend both products for different reasons.

Sanlyn tends to be a bit of an absolutist on no quality loss, and he's very skilled and knowledgeable on how to achieve that. I believe there are sometimes other factors to consider.

To accomplish all you have described will require several different tools to do optimally -- or one to get you started decently.

Most of the paid programs have free trials, so no harm in checking them out.
    Thanks again.
    Will give it a try.
    One video format I forgot (actually the most important one for me, how cud I forget that):
    my cable decoder/recorder, records tv broadcast in .ts format.

When saving it to an external USB drive the files are displayed as follows
    Filename-bla bla_20121124_2000.hmt
    Filename-bla bla_20121124_2000.nts
    Filename-bla bla_20121124_2000.ts

MediaInfo
    Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 3.61 GiB
    Duration : 1h 2mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 8 208 Kbps

Video
    ID : 1524 (0x5F4)
    Menu ID : 504 (0x1F8)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Codec ID : 2
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Encryption : Encrypted

or

Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 4.28 GiB
    Duration : 1h 7mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 9 025 Kbps

Video
    ID : 221 (0xDD)
    Menu ID : 201 (0xC9)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Codec ID : 2
    Duration : 1h 7mn
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 8 398 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 10 000 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.810
    Time code of first frame : 02:47:09:13
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    Stream size : 3.99 GiB (93%)

TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5
    Supported Input Formats
    MTS files recorded in a Blu-ray (AVCHD, BDAV, BDMV) format may not be correctly imported due to internal structure specificities. In such a case, use the Source Wizard.

Anyway, I hope it will support this type.
    Will give it a try.

Thanks again.
    =
    Quote Quote  
  12. Your obstacle here is the cable box encryption. Over the years this has been a difficult, often impossible nut to crack.
    Quote Quote