VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9
FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Thread
  1. I go the 5 minute Animal House sample. It played over Ethernet with no hiccups on my computer (i9 9900K, integrated graphics, 2560x1440 8 bit monitor). As expected it was like a slide show with VLC on the Chromecast, worse with Kodi. I have a fast (400 MB/s, 3200 Mb/s) USB 3.1 thumb drive coming later today. I'll try playing it from that when I get it. My earlier experiments with USB were with a USB 2.0 drive that could only deliver about 30 MB/s (240 Mb/s).

Are you sure your WiFi issues aren't time-of-day based rather than usage based? Maybe a neighbor's WiFi is causing interference?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I go the 5 minute Animal House sample. It played over Ethernet with no hiccups on my computer (i9 9900K, integrated graphics, 2560x1440 8 bit monitor). As expected it was like a slide show with VLC on the Chromecast, worse with Kodi. I have a fast (400 MB/s, 3200 Mb/s) USB 3.1 thumb drive coming later today. I'll try playing it from that when I get it. My earlier experiments with USB were with a USB 2.0 drive that could only deliver about 30 MB/s (240 Mb/s).

Are you sure your WiFi issues aren't time-of-day based rather than usage based? Maybe a neighbor's WiFi is causing interference?
    Cool on the file. I think your Kodi version maybe messed up. You did not have luck with any HDR. I have like 4/25 that don't flow nice, which are the larger ones.

I had the same issue last time and I restarted and everything was fine. This time I shut down all ( hdd, router, pc, CGTV) but can not test CGTV right now. I think it's a combination; of a bad (Xfinity brand router, I don't need anymore problems with Comcast, so I don't want to buy my own), distance, and old pc. I will see in a while, if CGTV is back to acceptable. I forgot to get user/pass for router when I was there yesterday.

Router does seem a little bit warmer. Yes I did dl for last couple days one file, so...
    Quote Quote  
  3. All 1080p HDR files I've tried play fine with Kodi. As a quick test I converted the Animal House clip to 4K SDR 10 bit HEVC with an even higher bitrate (2.6 GB file vs. 1.8 GB). That played fine with Kodi. In any case we don't have a 4K HDR TV so playback of 4K HDR video doesn't matter to me now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    All 1080p HDR files I've tried play fine with Kodi. As a quick test I converted the Animal House clip to 4K SDR 10 bit HEVC with an even higher bitrate (2.6 GB file vs. 1.8 GB). That played fine with Kodi. In any case we don't have a 4K HDR TV so playback of 4K HDR video doesn't matter to me now.
    So we are back to HDR factor with Kodi, If so with you, why does it work with 1080p? I did not notice HDR being part of the file/movie until 2160p files were available? CGTV has irregular bootups. Sometimes it will flash "Dolby Vision" and colorful Google symbol and go to Home screen, and others it will bypass logos go to a lockup home screen and then the home screen. The latter being the one that I waited the longest on to replug.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    All 1080p HDR files I've tried play fine with Kodi. As a quick test I converted the Animal House clip to 4K SDR 10 bit HEVC with an even higher bitrate (2.6 GB file vs. 1.8 GB). That played fine with Kodi. In any case we don't have a 4K HDR TV so playback of 4K HDR video doesn't matter to me now.
    Ok Back to normal acceptable playback on most files. Just got a Remux, it is most trouble of all. Only file available on Rad. Now this movie is now an enigma to me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. So do you think the best router would help? I asked you before but what part if possible can I switch out on my pc to get maximum speed like an iPhone does?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't know anything about your computer but isn't it in the same room as the WiFi router? If so, signal strength shouldn't be an issue. Is it using a USB WiFi Adapter? If so, (and assuming your computer has USB 3 ports) make sure it's a USB 3 adapter and plugged into a USB 3 port. If it's one of those tiny USB dongles that barely sticks out of the USB port try moving it a few feet away from the computer with a short USB extension cable. Make sure it supports the latest standard that's also supported by the router, for example 802.11n, or 802.11ac.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't know anything about your computer but isn't it in the same room as the WiFi router? If so, signal strength shouldn't be an issue. Is it using a USB WiFi Adapter? If so, (and assuming your computer has USB 3 ports) make sure it's a USB 3 adapter and plugged into a USB 3 port. If it's one of those tiny USB dongles that barely sticks out of the USB port try moving it a few feet away from the computer with a short USB extension cable. Make sure it supports the latest standard that's also supported by the router, for example 802.11n, or 802.11ac.
    We covered this. It is using a brand new wifi adapter with maximum speeds of 800 on 5 ghz. I just bought it to use instead of the preinstalled wifi adapter. I only get 260 mb/s consistent on the pc that is right next to router (outside the wall). It got that speed with it in the room too. I get 460 mb/s on iphone. So what is pc lacking?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Is your WiFi adapter plugged into a USB 3 port (usually blue).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Is your WiFi adapter plugged into a USB 3 port (usually blue).
    U got me!!!! 400+ now. I had never had a usb hub, so I guess there is only 1 3.0. I could have sworn I asked about it b4, and DELL told me they all are. But yes the one with the blue icon next to the usb port is where I plugged my 3.0 usb port into!! It did slow down to 296 where it marked it, but saw it go at least 450 at times.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I plugged the HDD into the hub as well. It plays a little better, still locking up on Remux (Rad) and Anima House, but a little less.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I copied several problematic HDR files to my new "up to 3200 Mb/s" USB 3.1 flash drive. HDR videos are playing a little better from there. Still, most 4K HDR videos aren't watchable.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I copied several problematic HDR files to my new "up to 3200 Mb/s" USB 3.1 flash drive. HDR videos are playing a little better from there. Still, most 4K HDR videos aren't watchable.
    Hmm, well u solved my probs for the most part, I'm sure u will get there. Do you think buying the best router will make a more difference for the Remux and higher bit rates?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    4K warez playback with the Chromecast with Google TV will be hit or miss. The Chromecast with Google TV advertises support for various 4K streaming services but not UHD Blu-ray warez downloads. According to articles I have seen, Apple TV, which uses higher bitrates than most, streams 4K at up to 30Mbps to 40Mbps but UHD Blu-ray allows much higher bitrates, up to 80Mbps to 100Mbps. ...and I'm asking the mods to change the name of this thread because the current name is not within forum guidelines and I want nothing more to do with it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Jun 2021 at 12:04.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    4K warez playback with the Chromecast with Google TV will be hit or miss. The Chromecast with Google TV advertises support for various 4K streaming services but not UHD Blu-ray warez downloads. According to articles I have seen, Apple TV, which uses higher bitrates than most, streams 4K at up to 30Mbps to 40Mbps but UHD Blu-ray allows much higher bitrates, up to 80Mbps to 100Mbps. ...and I'm asking the mods to change the name of this thread because the current name is not within forum guidelines and I want nothing more to do with it.
    Finally on pg 8, you had this epiphany?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-l5FyA3pgo
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I copied several problematic HDR files to my new "up to 3200 Mb/s" USB 3.1 flash drive. HDR videos are playing a little better from there. Still, most 4K HDR videos aren't watchable.
    So I am not deleting this file again, i will unshare the remux. It is the only rare file available since the press on 4k has stopped on my enigma movie. Anyways any suggestions on how to make this a lower bit rate or even SDR, bc the CGTV is going to do its own DVision anyways. Btw HDR + is better than DV by side by side comparison imo.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Why is it showing my "f" drive twice in my tree as well as the folder contents? There are problems with reading my external drive again. I reset my windows password to nothing and it caused problems with the network. So Kodi was not seeing my 2160p folder. There were 2 folders originally for movies (1080p, 2160P) Kodi was reading the 1080p folder but skipping the 2160p. I transferred all the files into 1 folder (1080p) and renamed it Movies, and now it will not see any files and invalid argument on "Movie folder". There is a "Music" folder that KODI is seeing and allowing access to files?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-20 103756.png
Views:	26
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	59484  

Quote Quote  
  18. Win10 just does that for external drives.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Win10 just does that for external drives.
    Yes I fixed it with a registry edit, according to a Google search. It was not like that before. I have not resolved my issue with KODI. Should password protected be on in network settings? That is what messed things up me resetting the windows password to nothing. I put it back to a password and enabled password protected, and got invalid argument on KODI like before. Reinstalled KODI with different and same version, same issue as originally. It is not seeing the drive, or connecting.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I messed up by forgetting I needed the password in Windows. I have reset it, and it is sharing the drive as before. KODI will not see any files within the folders that it transfers. So it is connecting and I get an invalid argument on folder "movies" desktop-ujvqsun/f/movies. I reviewed our notes. I can't figure out why it's reading the folders but no content is downloading.
    Quote Quote  
  21. oki got it, i think the folder got corrupted and needed to create new ones, i guess i need to be more careful with external hdd, not supposed to dl directly to it either..
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Different subject. Is it possible to use two routers on the same network? I would buy another and use it for the wi-fi tv downstairs, Chromecast, PC and external drive. I think things might work better if closer to source. I am not having a problem with lower end bit rate HDR files. I would keep the upstairs Comcast router for just the phone, and other tv's. Would that work? I would have to have two activated routers with Comcast?
    Quote Quote  
  23. You can use two routers. There are also "mesh" routers designed specifically to provide better signal coverage. Whether any of that will help your situation I don't know.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can use two routers. There are also "mesh" routers designed specifically to provide better signal coverage. Whether any of that will help your situation I don't know.
    That's cool. So if I purchase the 2nd router and move pc and hdd to downstairs within few feet of router and CGTV, does it just pick up the closest one automatically? Comcast said I need combo modem/router? So is that a mesh possibility? I have not purchased yet bc I hae learned a few tricks and things are working well. I watched Escape from New York, which was HDR/40 mb/s, and it barely froze (maybe 1, 2 times).
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    So if I purchase the 2nd router and move pc and hdd to downstairs within few feet of router and CGTV, does it just pick up the closest one automatically?
    I don't know much about using multiple standalone Wifi routers. Look for a "range extender" that's compatible with your current router. Configuration can be difficult. That's were mesh routers come in. The routers automatically configure themselves as one WiFi network and automatically handle everything for you. A two module mesh system will run you about US$200:

https://smile.amazon.com/Staging-Product-Not-Retail-Sale/dp/B085WS7H6K/

And I don't know if that will fix your max throughput problem though.

Originally Posted by forsure View Post
    Comcast said I need combo modem/router? So is that a mesh possibility?
    You can continue to use your current modem/router. Disable it's WiFi function and plug the mesh router into one of the Ethernet ports. Then put the extender downstairs.
    Quote Quote  
  26. And I don't know if that will fix your max throughput problem though.
    Max throughput, is that why it freezes usually on fast paced scenes? That sounds like a bit rate issue? Are you still leaning towards a HDR issue? The lower the max bit rate on mine the less it freezes. Still not 100%.

You can continue to use your current modem/router. Disable it's WiFi function and plug the mesh router into one of the Ethernet ports. Then put the extender downstairs.
    How would I disable the wifi? By logging into Admin? It seems like multiple routers would be more efficient, since I would have to use an "extension"? I need to consult with a network tech.

So there is no solution iyo, until HDR mastering is corrected? Or is it KODI? I don't think it's Chromecast.
    Last edited by forsure; 1st Jul 2021 at 08:46.
    Quote Quote  
  27. When I do shut down/unplug usb hub (hdd, wifi adapter) and then reboot, I am able to avoid any playback issues with KODI. I do this after a dl. I had not done this in the past and it kept locking up. This sort of supports the idea of too much space in wifi. Which leads me to believe there is network congestion within the wifi signal somewhere with all 3 (hdd, pc, CGTV) accessing network at same time.
    Quote Quote  
  28. That's why I asked about the possibility of the problem occurring at (or after) certain times of day. Maybe a neighbor starts with heavy usage at certain times of the day (or some other electrical interference) that causes your WiFi links to negotiate a lower speed. Then everything (or at least the router) remains at that lower speed until a reboot.

I have a problem like this with my cable modem. Every few days I find it running at 1 or 2 Mb/s. Once the modem is rebooted it goes back to 60 Mb/s.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That's why I asked about the possibility of the problem occurring at (or after) certain times of day. Maybe a neighbor starts with heavy usage at certain times of the day (or some other electrical interference) that causes your WiFi links to negotiate a lower speed. Then everything (or at least the router) remains at that lower speed until a reboot.

I have a problem like this with my cable modem. Every few days I find it running at 1 or 2 Mb/s. Once the modem is rebooted it goes back to 60 Mb/s.
    Since I switched to the correct usb port, there have not been any more speed issues. Just congestion after I dl a file. That congestion leads me to believe that it might be congestion within the network because of distance that causes the bigger hdr files to lock up.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    That's why I asked about the possibility of the problem occurring at (or after) certain times of day. Maybe a neighbor starts with heavy usage at certain times of the day (or some other electrical interference) that causes your WiFi links to negotiate a lower speed. Then everything (or at least the router) remains at that lower speed until a reboot.

How come all your links to Amazon have the word "smile" in the link, but they are not in the product name nor address. I would tell my neighbor he can only use his wifi when I say so, but he has an AR 15...so I'll let it slide.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!