VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    If I try to play a video-only mkv (AVC, no audio) via thumbdrive, the video content doesn't display on the TV. The player's info popup indicates it's playing (timer running). If I mux any kind of audio to the video, it will display, but the videos didn't originally have audio, so I'd rather not have to compensate. Older LG BD611 blu-ray player.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would muxing a silent audio track with the video to create a new MKV be an acceptable solution?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The question is how to play it without adding a superfluous audio track. One of the silent videos on the bluray (m2ts file) is mpeg2, and that plays normally when ripped from the disc, but if it were originally h264, I don't know if it would play normally.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    The question is how to play it without adding a superfluous audio track. One of the silent videos on the bluray (m2ts file) is mpeg2, and that plays normally when ripped from the disc, but if it were originally h264, I don't know if it would play normally.
    H.264 is compatible with the M2TS container file format. You could try remuxing the problem MKV file to an M2TS file with TSMuxerGUI. If that succeeds, then try playing it as an experiment.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    H.264 is compatible with the M2TS container file format. You could try remuxing the problem MKV file to an M2TS file with TSMuxerGUI. If that succeeds, then try playing it as an experiment.
    I wouldn't have thought the container mattered, but I tried it (with a different video-only file) and it worked. One of the original blu-ray files in MKV also played...
    I'm using MeGUI to re-encode, and usually mux the new encode with new audio encode in Mkvtoolnix. Without any audio, there was no reason to mux just a video file, but as it turns out, doing that "fixes" the MKV so it will play. I've tried Mkvtoolnix to smooth out issues (not usually successfully), but for some reason it didn't occur to me with this one.
    Thank you for your suggestion which ultimately led me to a solution.
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 21st Dec 2023 at 18:23.
    Quote Quote