VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used to use Windows Media Maker to edit most of my videos but I also learned over the years that Windows Movie Maker was outdated and that there are better editors. While I was aware of those better editors over the years, some of the those editors are either way too advanced and require a powerful computer in order to use. With that said, what are some good alternatives that does everything Movie maker does but is more advanced and current? I have HitFilm Express and DaVinci Resolve but as some posters pointed out to me, I need a high quality source to edit videos on those programs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already have Davinci Resolve on my computer although I am planning on uninstalling it soon.
    Quote Quote  
  3. shotcut is very good and not too fussy about what it runs on.

You do not need high quality sources to edit in DV Resolve, you can edit anything as long as it is in mp4 or mkv.
    It does however, need a decent pc to run on. i7 with 16gb ram

You can edit any old rubbish, and it will come out looking like edited rubbish
    Quote Quote  
  4. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    But a software doesn't discriminate if working or not with your source material depending on its quality.. it will work with it regardless

Anyway.. I don't know what's the matter with you and Davinci Resolve.. (I would be glad to use it, if my PC was a lot better than it is and not so old that I can't).

Other software you may try is KDENLive: it's the best, most feature rich opensource free video editor at the moment. Shotcut is based on the same framework (MLT) and for most people it is easier to use (so maybe would be ok for you), but KDENLive has many more precious things implemented (such as bins to organize your footage and sub-clips).

After DaVinci Resolve.. those are the best choices you have for free.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    shotcut is very good and not too fussy about what it runs on.

You do not need high quality sources to edit in DV Resolve, you can edit anything as long as it is in mp4 or mkv.
    It does however, need a decent pc to run on. i7 with 16gb ram

You can edit any old rubbish, and it will come out looking like edited rubbish
    I guess you are right about that. I will have to use my sources and try to make it somewhat presentable.

Originally Posted by krykmoon View Post
    But a software doesn't discriminate if working or not with your source material depending on its quality.. it will work with it regardless

Anyway.. I don't know what's the matter with you and Davinci Resolve.. (I would be glad to use it, if my PC was a lot better than it is and not so old that I can't).

Other software you may try is KDENLive: it's the best, most feature rich opensource free video editor at the moment. Shotcut is based on the same framework (MLT) and for most people it is easier to use (so maybe would be ok for you), but KDENLive has many more precious things implemented (such as bins to organize your footage and sub-clips).

After DaVinci Resolve.. those are the best choices you have for free.
    I will have to stick with Resolve but I will take those other software with consideration. Thank You for your second opinion.
    Quote Quote