VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mobie29 View Post
    Yes, it was 59.94fps and the aspect ratio is 16:9.

In your example above, why is your source file in "FR mode"?? Is it because of the 25fps is not compliant??
    No, In that screenshot, the source file is in HD, so it has to be full rendered for a PAL DVD. The info shown in the screenshot is what it will output as.

For your videos, try changing the aspect ratio to "Pixel 1:1" in the clip properties. That might work.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Gyoshi,

Thanks for the screen shot. I am learning every time I post a question or reply. I went into the settings and see settings under video it says:

Encoder Mode: Automatic (Smart Rendering prioritized) not grayed out
    Video Stream Format: MPEG- 2 Video- grayed out
    Profile & Level: MP @ML- grayed out
    Size: 720X480- grayed out

Aspect Ratio: Picture RatioL 16:9 which is not grayed out.

Framerate: 29.97 fps (grayed out)
    Display Mode: Interlace (grayed out)
    Field Order: Top Field first (grayed out)

Rate Control Mode: VBR (Smart Rendering 1 pass VBR) not grayed out... what is smart rendering???
    Max Bitrate: 8000 grayed out
    Bitrate: 6000 not grayed out
    Min bitrate: 1550 grayed out
    Picture quality: 90 not grayed out

There is a check mark in a box that says always encode chapter into I Picture whatever that means, lol

Wide mode settings: Letterbox.

Now, I know all of that could have been screen shot, but it was easier for me to type it, lol

So, what I am wondering is where would I go to change the Size if I wanted to??? Is there a place to do so? How do I know if the framerate and Bitrate need to be higher than what they are listed above?

I am trying to learn what all the different settings are and what they should be. I have 28GB of video that I need to encode and don't want to encode it incorrectly, lol

THANK YOU!!!

Originally Posted by gyoshi View Post
    Originally Posted by Endoking01 View Post
    Gyoshi,

Thanks for your post. I totally don't plan to do alot of splits at all. Most of my editing is merely going to be to convert HD files to SD for now. I just started the trial yesterday of Tmpgenc. I don't see the Source Stage--> Settings button?? Sorry, I am just starting to play with this software and am asking questions as I come across them. I would attach a screen shot in the post of what I see, but I'm apparently still learning that too!!! LOL
    The track settings button appears after you add your clip and get back to the main window see screenshot.

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mobie29 View Post
    Yes, it was 59.94fps and the aspect ratio is 16:9.

In your example above, why is your source file in "FR mode"?? Is it because of the 25fps is not compliant??
    No, In that screenshot, the source file is in HD, so it has to be full rendered for a PAL DVD. The info shown in the screenshot is what it will output as.

That's right. That makes sense.

For your videos, try changing the aspect ratio to "Pixel 1:1" in the clip properties. That might work.
    I will do this.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM

So, what I am wondering is where would I go to change the Size if I wanted to??? Is there a place to do so? How do I know if the framerate and Bitrate need to be higher than what they are listed above?

I am trying to learn what all the different settings are and what they should be. I have 28GB of video that I need to encode and don't want to encode it incorrectly, lol

THANK YOU!!!

Smart rendering means that it won't re-encode your video during the output process. That means you won't lose any of the original quality and output will be very fast since it doesn't need to reprocess the video data.
    However, it only works if your source video is compliant with your selected output format. So if you're making a DVD, your source video will need to have a DVD compatible resolution, framerate, bitrate, etc.

Since your source video is HD, it is not DVD compliant and will be full-rendered.

If you're not sure what you're doing, you may want to leave the track settings as is.

But if you really want to change the settings, you'll have to change the encoder mode to "Re-encode all videos as below". This will let you change the settings that are grayed out. Note that this will also change the rate control mode to VBR 2-pass; this means your output time will be longer since it will make 2 passes when outputting your video: the first pass analyzes the complexity of the video, and then the second pass encodes it using the analysis data. 2-passes is generally better since it will make a more accurate calculation of what the bitrate should be for a given scene's complexity, but the tradeoff is that it takes more time.

The size setting is already at the max for a NTSC DVD, so you shouldn't change that.

You could increase the bitrate if you really wanted to, but I think it's fine where it is. I don't experiment much with bitrates though, so hopefully someone else can chime in on this topic.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Gyoshi,

Thanks for the reply. So, question for you.. You stated below...

"Smart rendering means that it won't re-encode your video during the output process. That means you won't lose any of the original quality and output will be very fast since it doesn't need to reprocess the video data.
    However, it only works if your source video is compliant with your selected output format. So if you're making a DVD, your source video will need to have a DVD compatible resolution, framerate, bitrate, etc."

So, what happens to my video file than if the Smart Rendering doesn't work because the source video is not compliant with the selected output format? I know that my source video for example is 1440X1080, however the default settings currently say 720X480. If I need to change the settings to Re encode all videos as below I am fine with that even if it takes time because it doesn't sound like I have much of a choice, lol

So, is Smart Rendering for let's say if I wanted to combine several HD clips together and burn them onto a Blu Ray disc? The files would than be compliant the way they are now with the Blu Ray, correct? If so, I understand... Thanks!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Smart rendering means that it won't re-encode your video during the output process. That means you won't lose any of the original quality and output will be very fast since it doesn't need to reprocess the video data.
    However, it only works if your source video is compliant with your selected output format. So if you're making a DVD, your source video will need to have a DVD compatible resolution, framerate, bitrate, etc.

Since your source video is HD, it is not DVD compliant and will be full-rendered.

If you're not sure what you're doing, you may want to leave the track settings as is.

But if you really want to change the settings, you'll have to change the encoder mode to "Re-encode all videos as below". This will let you change the settings that are grayed out. Note that this will also change the rate control mode to VBR 2-pass; this means your output time will be longer since it will make 2 passes when outputting your video: the first pass analyzes the complexity of the video, and then the second pass encodes it using the analysis data. 2-passes is generally better since it will make a more accurate calculation of what the bitrate should be for a given scene's complexity, but the tradeoff is that it takes more time.

The size setting is already at the max for a NTSC DVD, so you shouldn't change that.

You could increase the bitrate if you really wanted to, but I think it's fine where it is. I don't experiment much with bitrates though, so hopefully someone else can chime in on this topic.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gyoshi,

So, what happens to my video file than if the Smart Rendering doesn't work because the source video is not compliant with the selected output format? I know that my source video for example is 1440X1080, however the default settings currently say 720X480. If I need to change the settings to Re encode all videos as below I am fine with that even if it takes time because it doesn't sound like I have much of a choice, lol

So, is Smart Rendering for let's say if I wanted to combine several HD clips together and burn them onto a Blu Ray disc? The files would than be compliant the way they are now with the Blu Ray, correct? If so, I understand... Thanks!!!

If your video is not compliant with the output format like in your case (HD to DVD), your video will be completely re-encoded and the output process will take a while depending on your computer specs and output settings. It's basically like converting it from one format to another format whereas smart rendering leaves a correctly formatted video file untouched.

So yes, if you are going to make a DVD out of your HD footage, you have to do a full re-encode no matter what.

However, if you output as Blu-ray, then your footage has a good chance of being smart rendered and output will be very fast.
    What you do with your clips in terms of editing does not affect smart rendering much. For instance, if you cut a scene out of your clip, smart rendering will still be in affect and only the frames around the cut scene will be re-rendered. Same with combining or splitting clips.

You can see if your footage is Blu-ray compliant by selecting the Blu-ray output profile in the Start Stage (the first screen when you open the program). Then just add your clip and if it is compliant, a blue "SR" icon will appear on the thumbnail of your clip in the Source Stage.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you! I went and tried as you had suggested with Blu Ray to see if they were compliant. Apparently they are not because the bottom of the videos have FR not SR. What does it mean to not be Blu Ray compliant? I guess I automatically thought since they were HD .m2ts files that they would be compliant and I could just burn them to Blu Ray (assuming I had a Blu Ray writer).

I must say I didn't realize how complicated this is to get my HD video onto a DVD. At this point I am almost willing to get a Blu Ray writer and just put it onto a Blu Ray disc if I can even figure that out, lol

Thoughts??

Gyoshi,

If your video is not compliant with the output format like in your case (HD to DVD), your video will be completely re-encoded and the output process will take a while depending on your computer specs and output settings. It's basically like converting it from one format to another format whereas smart rendering leaves a correctly formatted video file untouched.

So yes, if you are going to make a DVD out of your HD footage, you have to do a full re-encode no matter what.

However, if you output as Blu-ray, then your footage has a good chance of being smart rendered and output will be very fast.
    What you do with your clips in terms of editing does not affect smart rendering much. For instance, if you cut a scene out of your clip, smart rendering will still be in affect and only the frames around the cut scene will be re-rendered. Same with combining or splitting clips.

You can see if your footage is Blu-ray compliant by selecting the Blu-ray output profile in the Start Stage (the first screen when you open the program). Then just add your clip and if it is compliant, a blue "SR" icon will appear on the thumbnail of your clip in the Source Stage.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are the clip properties for your videos?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I am looking at the clip properties screen, but I am not sure what information you are looking for. Do you want the format of the audio and video? Or the Clip Settings at the top screen? Like Aspect Ratio, Framerate, etc?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The framerate, aspect ratio, progressive/interlaced, field order?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Display Mode: Interlace
    Field Order: Top Field First
    Aspect Ratio: Display 16:9
    Framerate: 29.97

I think if I remember right that you had made a post on someone else's topic about the frame rate not being high enough. All the settings above we default and I didn't change any of them. Wonder if I made a change say to the Framerate than if it would compliant?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those specs are actually compliant; in fact, your file is compliant with Blu-ray as is.

The problem is that TMPGEnc Authoring Works can't burn MPEG-4 encoded Blu-ray Discs; it can only create MPEG-2 encoded Blu-rays. This is why it's full-rendering your file. It wants to convert it to MPEG-2 because of the limitations of the software.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Gyoshi,

Thanks for letting me know it is compliant. So, I guess the next question is.... Is it worth it to look for software that can burn mpeg4? Is there a big difference between the audio and video quality between 2 and 4? I like the tmpgenc software so far it seems to be easy to use once you figure out what everthing is. I won't do hardly any editing so it's too bad I cannot find any free or less expensive software to use I did try out the other software that someone had mentioned in the thread (cannot remember the name), but it just didn't seem to do the same job.

I did notice that there are software limitations during the trial. There is the mpeg icon, but it is grayed out.

How did you know that the video was compliant? What part of the spec's made it compliant?

Thanks for your help I appreciate it!!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot that you're using a Sony HDR camcorder and that we were talking about AVCHD files.
    Basically AVCHD is designed for Blu-ray compatibility. And all of your video specs were within the Blu-ray standard so I'm pretty sure it's compliant.

Audio and video quality can be roughly the same between MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 AVC, but MPEG-4 AVC is better at compressing the data, so the file size can be smaller while maintaining a comparable level of detail. In turn, that means you can fit more content on whatever media you're using (DVD, Blu-ray, etc.).

I did notice that there are software limitations during the trial. There is the mpeg icon, but it is grayed out.
    Are you talking about the TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 trial? I'm not sure which icon you're talking about.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Gyoshi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, when I had said there were software limitations I was referring to the trial I am on. I do see a mpeg icon, but it is grayed out.

Now, I just need to figure out why when I view my file (I have tried multiple files) why the video doesn't take up the whole screen? I think I will need to post a separate post for that. My video is like a square in the middle of media player screen. I have tried iTunes, Media Player, and another player and they all show the file that way. It might not be like that when I actually get the video on disc and on the tv, not sure???

Thanks!
    Quote Quote