VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. tsmuxer , the split and cut tab

It is supposed to have combing and horizontal lines (because you re-interlaced it with the script, to make it similar to DV), but the fps is off, and it's "jerky"

I suspect specifying the fps in the 1st line will fix it (and if you install ac3 filter, it will encode audio to wav, or you can do the demux option discussed earlier) , but I have to look at the original footage to be sure

Directshowsource("0001.mts", fps=29.97, audio=true)
    Quote Quote  
  2. That update in the script you sent made a huge difference. Here's an updated clip:

http://www.foochuck.com/video/video-test-2.avi

I'm going to install and test out ac3 filter now.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have installed ac3 filter - is there anything special I need to do to get it to work with vdub?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't think so...You can test it out on a short clip

Plan B is using the native audio
    Quote Quote  
  5. Poison,

I think I'm about set for converting these clips. My one last issue is pulling the audio. I'm not sure what I can use to pull the native audio from the .m2ts clips. I tried ac3 filter but haven't had any luck yet.

Could you point me in the direction of a tutorial for pulling audio from those clips to wav format?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do you have haali media splitter + ac3 filter installed?

Just use tsmuxer, and hit the demux radio button

Checkmark the audio track

This will give you the native AC3 audio. It shouldn't be necessary to convert to wave
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay so I need to have all 3 programs installed (haali media splitter, ac3 filter & tsmuxer) in order to use tsmuxer to demux the audio track, correct?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by foochuck
    Okay so I need to have all 3 programs installed (haali media splitter, ac3 filter & tsmuxer) in order to use tsmuxer to demux the audio track, correct?
    Nope tsmuxer doesn't need any

Those 3 are for directshowsource() in the script if you wanted to convert ac3 to wav, as you are processing the script in vdub

If you set audio to direct stream copy, it will decompress it to wav, because you are using an .avs script
    Quote Quote  
  9. I was able to extract the ac3 audio, but Premiere Pro (CS3) doesn't want to import it. Dooooh!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Might be a limitation with PP CS3; PP CS4 will import it

You can convert ac3 to wav, e.g. foobar2000, eac3to, audacity, many others...

I'm curious as to why the avs script doesn't pass though the audio for you in vdub. This would be easier, and everything would be synced up. If you render one of the native .mts files in graphstudio, do the pins connect? or if you open the .avs file in vdub and use file=>file information what does it say about the audio ? Did you make sure you didn't have audio->no audio selected?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I didn't have haali media splitter or ac3 filter installed when I encoded the videos to SD AVI. I DID have 'Direct Stream copy' selected.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Nope tsmuxer doesn't need any

Those 3 are for directshowsource() in the script if you wanted to convert ac3 to wav, as you are processing the script in vdub

If you set audio to direct stream copy, it will decompress it to wav, because you are using an .avs script
    I have both haali media splitter and ac3 filter installed.

This is the script I'm running:

Directshowsource("20090912161022.m2ts", fps=29.97, audio=true)
    AssumeTFF()
    interp=NNEDI2(field=3) #double rate, starts with top
    YadifMod(order=1, field=-1, mode=1, edeint=interp) #TFF,field set to order,double rate
    Spline36Resize(720,480)
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(4,0,3)
    Weave()

AssumeTFF()
    JDL_ReverseFieldDominance(bobfirstlast=true)

Do I need to open those two programs prior to saving as an avi through virtual dub? I tried again and there was no audio - however when I play the original m2ts file there is indeed audio.

Audio in virtual dub is set to direct stream copy.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Render the .mts in graphstudio or graphedit and see if the pins connect

What does virtualdub say with the avs open? file=>file information
    Quote Quote  
  14. Screen cap of File -> File Information

Quote Quote  
  15. According to that, the audio should be passing through

Can you use mediainfo on one of the converted files exported from vdub?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    According to that, the audio should be passing through

Can you use mediainfo on one of the converted files exported from vdub?
    General
    CompleteName : C:\Users\Charley\Desktop\video tests\audio test 1.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    FileSize/String : 114 MiB
    Duration/String : 18s 51ms
    OverallBitRate/String : 53.2 Mbps
    Encoded_Library/String : VirtualDub build 32618/release

Video
    Format : Lagarith
    CodecID : LAGS
    BitRate/String : 51.6 Mbps
    Width/String : 720 pixels
    Height/String : 480 pixels
    DisplayAspectRatio/String : 1.500
    FrameRate/String : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Resolution/String : 12 bits
    Bits-(Pixel*Frame) : 4.985
    StreamSize/String : 111 MiB (97%)

Audio
    Format : PCM
    Format_Settings_Endianness : Little
    Format_Settings_Sign : Unsigned
    CodecID : 1
    CodecID/Hint : Microsoft
    BitRate_Mode/String : Constant
    BitRate/String : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s)/String : 2 channels
    SamplingRate/String : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution/String : 16 bits
    StreamSize/String : 3.31 MiB (3%)
    Interleave_Duration/String : 34 ms (1.02 video frame)
    Interleave_Preload/String : 500 ms
    Quote Quote  
  17. It shows audio there too...

What software are you using for playback? Try something else e.g. MPCHC, KMplayer, VLC etc..

The audio should show up in Premiere as well
    Quote Quote  
  18. I tried playing it in windows media player as well as Premiere Pro CS3 - there are no audio levels showing up on the clip. Does it create a separate wav file?
    Quote Quote  
  19. I imported one of my m2ts clips into a friends Premiere Pro CS4 and there is definitely audio contained in the clips.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm going to test out exporting these m2ts files audio from CS4 to wav files - if I do that, will there be any sync files with the AVI files I'm creating from vdub?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Nope the audio should be in the AVI file

Do a test, make a new .avs script with only this:

DirectShowSource("0001.mts", fps=29.97, audio=true)

And play it in MPC, can you hear audio? But you say playing back clip 0001.mts (or whatever it's called) directly results in audio?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by foochuck
    I'm going to test out exporting these m2ts files audio from CS4 to wav files - if I do that, will there be any sync files with the AVI files I'm creating from vdub?
    Shouldn't be any problems...but those are famous last words

You have AC3 Filter installed, but Premiere relies on ACM type codecs so if you install AC3 ACM , it should be able to handle the native AC3 audio from tsmuxer too
    Quote Quote  
  23. Poison - just wanted to say thanks for all of your help on this topic. You're a patient guy!

-Charley
    Quote Quote  
  24. This is just a follow up, for those who might be wondering "why all the trouble?"

As stated earlier, the problem is Adobe uses a poor deinterlace-resize-reinterlace algorithm. When downsizing HD=>SD material, you generally expect sharp pictures, but this is not the case with CS3/CS4 - the end results are rather soft. There are numerous reports of these findings in various forums, and other examples in this link provided earlier:
    http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2009/07/hd-to-sd-dvd-best-methods/

So here is an illustrative example, encoded to a lossless format (lagarith), to eliminate the MPEG2 encoder variables (so the final results would look worse after MPEG2 compression). The lossless videos were deinterlaced with nnedi2 and screenshots were taken with AvsP. This particular shot actually hides many of the deinterlace artifacts from Adobe; on "less busy" shots such as with titles in the link above, you can see the aliasing artifacts more clearly.

Adobe CS4 Method

Avisynth Method

If anyone wants to test this out for themselves, the original 1080i AVCHD clip can be found here
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9B84U1II

Let's hope Adobe improves this for CS5
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thanks for the follow up poison.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Did the project turn out ok?

The trade off, of course, is it takes a loong time with a decent quality deinterlacer / processing, and a few extra steps. It might not be worth it for some people, but at least you have better quality options open
    Quote Quote  
  27. The project turned out great. Hopefully next time I'll be able to shoot with 2 cameras of the same format as well as just edit in HD.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote