VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I read that files converted to 720 x 576 (2703kbps bitrate) AVI look great on the Archos 704. What is a good program (free) for converting VOB, MPEG2 and wmv files to this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AutoGK!

I guess it supports wmv directly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does AutoGK have 2 pass cabability? I didn't notice it. Can you specify the bit rate for video? Again, I didn't see it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AutoGK does 2 pass by default unless you choose to do a CQ encode. You do this by setting a Target Percentage on the main page, instead of a size value. Target percentage (Constant Quality) encoding is a single pass encoding with limited control over bitrate or file size.

You set a bitrate by defining a target size. Size = running time x bitrate, so use a bitrate calculator (I like vcalc) to work out what size you need to reach to get your bitrate.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. And it won't accept WMV. Here's what it will accept:
    IFO file is used when you have a DVD like directory that contains IFO file and corresponding VOB files. IFO file is parsed and choice of audio streams and subtitles is presented to the user. If IFO file contains multiple PGCs (program chains) or angles then user will be asked to confirm which ones contained in the vobset (unless the name of VOB file contain this information already). Note that AutoGK cannot work properly on a vobset that still has multiple angles/program chains, so make sure to use appropriate tools to prepare the vobset. Another thing to remember is that AutoGK only works on unencrypted VOB files.
    MPG, MPEG, VOB, VRO, M2V, M1V, DAT files are expected to have MPEG1/MPEG2 video inside. Only information about audio type (but not language in case of VOBs) is available for these types of files.
    TS, TP, TRP, M2T files are expected to be transport streams with MPEG2 video inside. If it has multiple video streams then you'll be asked to confirm which stream AutoGK will be working with.
    AVI files can have potentially any type of video inside (including DivX/XviD and DV sources). Main requirement for AutoGK to be able to process them is that they can be played in Windows Media Player (or any other DirectShow-based player) on your Windows installation. For current limitations and features see latest FAQ on AutoGK's web site
    http://www.autogk.me.uk/modules.php?name=TutorialEN#5
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any reason you want to convert to a very low (comparatively) bitrate for the screen size ? BTW, AVI is only a container, what format are you actually converting to within that container for your video and audio ? Xvid/mp3 ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Archos 704 needs Xvid or Divx unless I purchase a plugin. I am also hoping to reduce the file size somewhat (2x or so) for more storage, but would like to have good qaulity. The file system is fat32, so there is a limit on maximum file size.

Are there other tools worth considering besides AutoGK?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Your video is xvid ... your audio ?

You have competing needs ... storage (long term storage?) vs playability. Your choice. Fat32 = 2Gb limit I seem to recall.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Audio when done is MP3, maybe 128kb/s.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use VirtualDub, Xvid codec, 2 pass, Lame MP3 at 128Kb CBR. AutoGK can also do this, but in my experience, it compresses to a less sharp/more pixellated look in Xvid. Xvid files are approximately 1/2 the size of the Divx 4.0 files that the rather excellent Archos 704 produces on the fly. I often VDub my Divx 4.0 files to Xvid (takes about 2 hours per 2 hour Divx file), and of course, your 80Gb HDD likes the smaller filesizes! You can cram more in.
    Quote Quote