VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone im just curious i just started ripping Toy Story 3 with DVDFab on my pc it shows 4 hours on elapsed time and time left aprox 3 hours it would be a total of 7 hours on ripping a movie, is it possible or it may be my pc specs? or theres any faster bdripping software... thanks in advice
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ANYDVD HD best bluray software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. you average ripping time with Anydvd is?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anydvd takes 90 minutes to rip dual-layer BR disk. DVD Fab takes 60 minutes on my system.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think the OP must be doing more than just ripping. Most of my BD rips take about 40 minutes, depending on the amount of content. I could see re-encoding taking seven hours or more.

I have no idea if it's your PC specs as you haven't listed them. Just ripping only involves the BD player and the hard drive. Encoding involves the CPU and sometimes the video card. If you are re-encoding, to what format are you re-encoding to? That can influence the encoding time quite a bit, along with the settings used. BD>9GB MKV takes me about 5 1/2 hours with a 3.5Ghz six core CPU and a two pass encode.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the answer redwudz, well i got an Intel Pentium Dual 2.00GHz, 1GB (RAM) and Intel® 82945G Express Chipset (Graphics Card), Im ripping ToyStory3 BD50gb to BD25gb and it took aprox 7 hours i dont know why this is taking so long.... i dont know if theres another ripping software that works faster than dvdfab on BD50gb -> BD25gb thanks....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could just do the rip part, then try multiAVCHD or Clown_BD if you don't need all the extras. That should take quite a bit less time. If you re-encode the full disc from a BD-50 to BD-25, it's going to take a while. I don't use DVDfab, so I don't know what encoding engine it uses or if other encoders would be faster. With a 2Ghz dual core, encoding with some codecs like H.264 will be quite a bit slower than with a quad core running closer to 3Ghz.

You could try your setup with this benchmark and see how it compares to similar CPUs: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/286517-HD-x264-CPU-benchmark-compare-different-CPUs...-the-same-file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your not ripping,to me ripping is transferring the disk without compressing to the HD,a full disk image. Are you compressing directly from the BD disk to BD25?
    Quote Quote  
  9. redwudz thanks, and wulf109 yep im compressing directly from the BluRayDisc to the HD (50GB to 25GB), i checkout the ripped files and the size is aprox 20 GB (the movie is Toy Story 3 BD size aprox 40gb)..... is there any other software like DVDFAB that allow me to remove some extras and remove french audio or something like that well thanks in advice!!

i dont know if dvdfab didn't rip the movie well because i put the BD on my blurayplayer and it got stucked, any ideas? i'm reburning the movie at 2x... i dont know if that makes any difference... thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should stop compressing from the disk. Aside from taking much longer it's putting un-necessary ware on your BD-Rom drive.
    Rip to your HD with DVDfab, and then use DVDfab to compress from your hd. DVDfab takes about 1 hour to compress a movie from the HD on my i7 system. DVDfab is probably the fastest way to compress a BD. BDrebuilder provides superior quality,try it in CRF mode,the 2-pass mode would be painfully slow on your dual-core CPU. If you serious about BD conversion you should consider a CPU upgrade to a Quad=core. DVDfab and BDrebuilder both allow you to select what languages streams to use. BDrebuilder allows to set and forget your language stream selections. I doubt your play problem will be solved by burning slower. If your BD's are rated for 4x you shouldn't have playback problems,more likely it's caused by compressing from the disk directly.
    Last edited by wulf109; 31st Oct 2010 at 15:46.
    Quote Quote  
  11. thanks wulf109 so is faster ripping the BD50 to my HD and then compress from the HD to BD25?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I use Anydvd to rip to the hard drive then use bdrb to compress to bd25. total average time is 2.5 hrs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    40 minutes to 55 minutes to rip a Bluray disc for me and that's using a Intel Quad 9550 with a LG Bluray rom.....
    Quote Quote  
  14. thanks man i ripped a new Blu Ray and it took aprox 45 mins and the conversion i assume it would take around 1 hour... thanks for all the advices...
    Quote Quote