VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is my issue, I think this is a capture issue, but not sure.

I record VHS to DVD MPEG2 using my ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 8500 card using the composite inputs. When the video is captured (352x480) to the PC, its plays back fine. When I author it to DVD and burn the disc, the disc plays back fine on the PC (using VLC player). Here is the issue...

When I play the same DVD on a standalone DVD player (Sony or Cyberhome) the video tends to be jittery and hard to watch, like its vibrating on the screen. Any reason this happens? Is there a capture setting I am missing? Is that something I should turn on?

I dont have Deinterlacing turned on and do have Visual Masking checked. It captures at 4.08 constant bit rate as well.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. The wrong field order is flagged on the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure I undertand what you mean, can you elaborate?

Thanks for the reply
    Quote Quote  
  4. Each frame of interlaced video contains two half pictures. These should be viewed one at a time, one after the other. The field order (just a flag in the MPG data) determines which half picture should be displayed first. The wrong field order results in exactly the symptom you described. Your DVD authoring software should allow you to specify the field order somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much for the help, I will test this out when I get home!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Nomenclature for field order varies from program to program. Some use "top field first" (TFF) and "bottom field first" (BFF). others use upper/lower, even/odd, A/B, 1/2, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oops!
    Quote Quote