VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I been trying to do this for sometimes now, I have been reading different guides on converting from DivX to SVCD, but none of them work. The closest I ever gotten was a SVCD file (I think, since its extension is .mpq or something like that) with no pictures, but with sound.

The reason I do this is because I usually back up my collectable VCD in my hardrive, and now they are taking too much of my space, so I decide to convert them to a small size, Divx, which I was able to do using VirtualDub, but now with all the Divx file in my hardrive I still haven't found a way to convert them to SVCD file to be able to watch in a DVD player

p.s. I am not sure if I am right, but SVCD require less space than treditional VCD right?

thanks in advanced
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wrong. SVCD's are encoded with more than twice the bitrate as VCD, which means they'ye on average twice as big as a VCD mpeg. I think the reason why the SVCD you made didn't work is because you need to install an mpeg-2 codec.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but isn't bitrate something you can choose??

if I adjust the bitrate to be less, which be equal quality as the VCD, will it still be twice as large? or the same?

and thanks for the codec, going to try tonite
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you adjust an mpeg-2 bitrate to equal that of a VCD it will look horrible, trust me. That's beside the point because the file size would still be the same. If you want a video that's less than the size of a VCD then your only option is Divx. Depending on how much you are willing to tollerate, you can maintain most of the VCD's video quality with a Divx file that is 50-75% the size.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see I see....

is it possible to let a dvd player play Divx file tho??
    Quote Quote  
  6. it sure is check out the dvd players section on the lower left
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got another question now, is it possible to pack the movie in 2 cd in vcd format into 1 cd by changing the format??? and still be able to play in a dvd player??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, if you convert to Divx and you have a Divx capable DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ah.... crud.....

is that the only way???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For your purposes(2 VCD to one CD), yes. However if you were converting from DVD another alternative would be KVCD(go to KVCD.net for more info). Generally when converting to a different format you want to have a better source than your destination, not the other way around. Problem with KVCD and XVCD is that not many DVD players support them.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ah, thanks a lot, that made it a lot thing clear for me

but now I have a few files in DIVX format (.avi extension), is it possible to change it back to VCD? (I know I should have learn both way before converting them..... )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check out this guide.
    Quote Quote