VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I'm using eac3to with your GUI in Windows from some time ago. It's an excellent program to solve the problem that I have sometimes when I try to extract an AC-3 track ripped from a DVD of an .avi file and slowdown from 25.000 to 23.976 FPS in order to be synchronized with an .mkv video ripped from a Bluray

Now I have a more powerful Linux (Ubuntu) PC and I would like to do the same on it. But, it seems there isn't a Linux version of eac3to.

Can someone suggest me a similar and also easy program to do that?

Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by october262; 23rd Sep 2019 at 15:37.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not really the answer to your question, but may be to your problem.
    Use mkvtoolnix load the avi and the mkv to add the audio from the avi to the mkv, use the 'stretch' option to adjust either the audio or the video.
    Pro: no conversion needed, just remuxing and changing the frame durations (of either the audio or the video stream)
    Con: only good for playback if you want to reencode later on, you then have to deal with the speedup/slowdown of either the audio or video.
    (Hybrid can also do audio/video slow down on reencoding or setting a stretch value for the video on remuxing.)

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @selur Clever answer!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

First of all. Thanks all for your answers / suggestions...

Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I´ve not used Wine before... I´ve already installed following the steps described here but not tried to run it yet.
    Do you use wine with eac3to? Could you tell me how to run it? Anyway, I´m still reading the Wiki and the FAQs in Wine page.

Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Not really the answer to your question, but may be to your problem.
    Use mkvtoolnix load the avi and the mkv to add the audio from the avi to the mkv, use the 'stretch' option to adjust either the audio or the video.
    Pro: no conversion needed, just remuxing and changing the frame durations (of either the audio or the video stream)
    Con: only good for playback if you want to reencode later on, you then have to deal with the speedup/slowdown of either the audio or video.
    (Hybrid can also do audio/video slow down on reencoding or setting a stretch value for the video on remuxing.)

Cu Selur
    Your suggestion is really interesting... I didn´t know that mkvtoolnix could do that. I´ll try to do it with some movie that I have pending to change.
    One question, when you use the stretch option and remux the mkv with the new audio is this synced with the video?
    I ask you that because with eac3to I follow the next steps:

extract the ac3 audio from the .avi movie using the option -25.000 ChangeTo -23.976
    Include the .ac3 file in mkvtoolnix and remux it with the video
    Use VLC to sync the video with the audio with the Audio Track Synchronization
    And remux it again with MKVTollNix using the value calculated before.

Maybe, once stretched the audio, I have to do the two last steps described above to synchronize audio and video, not?

Again, thanks all for your comments.
    Quote Quote  
  6. extract the ac3 audio from the .avi movie using the option -25.000 ChangeTo -23.976
    this will probably reencode the audio and change the lwngth of the video
    Include the .ac3 file in mkvtoolnix and remux it with the video
    okay.
    Use VLC to sync the video with the audio with the Audio Track Synchronization
    Reading https://www.vlchelp.com/syncing-audio-vlc-media-player/, I understand that this is just to figure out an initial delay.
    And remux it again with MKVTollNix using the value calculated before.
    okay.

Maybe, once stretched the audio, I have to do the two last steps described above to synchronize audio and video, not?
    yes, if your source needs to be streched and moved you need to do your last two steps, the strecthing only replaces the playback change from 25 to 23.976.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote