VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was sort of hoping that there would be an external filter or a subtitle rending program that would work with MPC-HC and also MadVR and SVP 4 Pro.

Basically, one show, for some reason decided to use horrid, year 2000, yellow subs, and also I often can't use the default style without both subs showing up. Another thing I would like to do, and maybe this isn't possible either in any player, or in MPC-HC but I wanted to add a blur to the shadow option for subs. Also, for some reason the subs in MPC-HC don't look right. They have a thick black border and don't match what other players show. I checked out MPC, the default subs, any filters, etc. I even d/l a program that looks at a sort of graphical tree of what programs and filters and interacting with the video player and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Anyone who can offer any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

DM
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post

Anyone who can offer any help would be very much appreciated!
    Convert your subs (SRT, I presume) to SSA or ASS and then choose any style you like. You won't have to worry about what the player gives you.

However, I also use MPC-HC and it's easy to change them. Open a video with subs, Right-click the screen and choose Options->Subtitles->Default Style. Change anything you like. Hit Apply followed by OK. Close and reopen the player and whatever you chose should take effect. But maybe that won't work for you because somehow you've screwed up how subs are handled.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, each player is free to render SRT subs any way they want. Most software players let you select fonts, size, colors, opacity, etc. In my opinion that's a good thing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
    and also I often can't use the default style without both subs showing up.
    Are you using more than one subtitle renderer? What version of MPC-HC are you using? In current versions you select one subtitle renderer in Options->Playback->Output. Other renderers should then be blocked by MPC-HC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well I was going to type out all the answers but the comments led me to the problem. SVP 4 has you use LAV Splitter and FFD Video Decoder Raw.
    I didn't realize that in the settings you could set FFD to output subs, which was messing things up.

I do still have two previous questions and one new question.

1. Is there a quick and easy way, such as with a filter, to turn yellow subs into white subs?

2. Is there a way to have subs have a shadow that doesn't have a hard edge like the default shadow in MPC-HC? I guess I should add that I'm looking for a way that doesn't involve, a lot of editing, isn't hard coded, and isn't the type of subs that are actual images, which I'm sure is the most basic way to add a blurred shadow to a subtitle but I'm not going through all that work just for a softer shadow!

New Question.

1. Does anyone know of a way to make a 3dLUT with DisplayCal that allows 0-255 color range? When you select MadVR 3dLUT your only option is the smaller TV color space.

I'm going to see if I can get MadVR to use an ICC or ICM 3dLUT profile for calibration but I don't know if that will work yet.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
    Is there a quick and easy way, such as with a filter, to turn yellow subs into white subs?
    Assuming your subs aren't image based:
    (0. Options->Playback->Output, select "Internal Subtitle Renderer".)
    1. Change default style like manono explained.
    2. During playback click Play->Subtitles->Default Style

With image based subs I do not know. I theory it shouldn't be to hard to change the palette or maybe even OCR but I think it's not possible with MPC-HC.

Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
    2. Is there a way to have subs have a shadow that doesn't have a hard edge like the default shadow in MPC-HC?
    Not sure what you mean. I suggest you play around a bit with MPC-HC's styling options. You can set different (or same!) colors, border width, transparency ...
    Quote Quote  
  7. For the shadow, I'm referring to how in MPC-HC the shadow has a very defined, sharp edge. Shadows usually have soft edges, especially the further the shadow is from the object.
    If you use the Drop Shadow option in Photoshop you know what I mean.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote