VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

i recorded a lot of TV Shows from a german television channel and now i want to store them on a NAS to stream them to different devices. (wdtv, tablets…)

Mediainfo says that they are interlaced and have 25fps. When i look at the .ts files, Iīm pretty sure that most of the frames are real interlaced but some frames seems to be progressive.

The last two days i kept reading and reading about deinterlacing and the most recommend way (with handbrake), for an 1080i 25fps source, is to use yadif and bob (double frame rate) to reencoded to 1080p 50fps.

Now i did a few test with handbrake (Deinterlace: yadif / Preset: bob / Interlace Detection: Off / FPS: Same as source) and it think that it looks good.

Questions:

1. Are the videos real interlaced and 25fps? (Maybe they are interlaced but encoded progressive or they are progressive but encoded interlaced or 50 fps instead of 25 or whatever)
    2. What do you think is the best way to deinterlace these videos? (To let the device deinterlace is no option for me)
    3. Is handbrakes yadif-bob combination good enough for this source quality or is it possible to get much better results with QTGMC? (I have read a couple times that handbrake does the job really well if the source is good HD quality.)

Thank you in advance!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I only checked the first sample. It's phase-shifted. It's progressive but the fields are paired with the wrong partner and appear to be interlaced. Rather than this (where capital letter is top field and small letter is bottom field):

Code:
    ABCDEFG
    abcdefg
    you've got this:

Code:
    ABCDEFG
    bcdefgh
    It appears to be interlaced. To fix it you need to realign the fields to make it progressive again. In AviSynth a simple TFM() (from the TIVTC filter) easily fixes it. I don't know (and care even less) if Handbrake can do it properly.

2. What do you think is the best way to deinterlace these videos?
    Again, I only checked the first one. It doesn't need deinterlacing, but only field matching.
    Last edited by manono; 21st Oct 2019 at 17:15.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I agree with manono
    #1 is field shifted, actually progressive content

#2,3 are 50 fields/s interlaced TFF content , but parts are poorly converted from their 59.94 field/s interlaced American counterpart. Especially in #3, you can see field drops (motion is not smooth, there are "jumps")
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by trispel View Post
    2. What do you think is the best way to deinterlace these videos? (To let the device deinterlace is no option for me)
    As was already discussed, sample1 should be inverse telecined. For the other two QTGMC() is best. Yadif(mode=1) is of lesser quality but much faster.

Originally Posted by trispel View Post
    3. Is handbrakes yadif-bob combination good enough for this source
    Only you can answer that question. It's a value judgement.

Why bother reencoding them at all? Most devices can play interlaced AVC properly. You should just remux them to MP4 or MKV if your players don't support TS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you guys. That helped me a lot!

To fix it you need to realign the fields to make it progressive again. In AviSynth a simple TFM() (from the TIVTC filter) easily fixes it. I don't know (and care even less) if Handbrake can do it properly.
    I expected that the best solution would be avisynth and already looked at it but after it wouldnīt even load the ts files without demuxing (I think it needs DGAVCDecode for the AVC-MPEG4), it seems very complex and would take me several hours to learn how to use it. Because of that I hoped handbrake could do the job.

#2,3 are 50 fields/s interlaced TFF content , but parts are poorly converted from their 59.94 field/s interlaced American counterpart. Especially in #3, you can see field drops (motion is not smooth, there are "jumps")
    That is what i meant with: "...most of the frames are real interlaced but some frames seems to be progressive."

As was already discussed, sample1 should be inverse telecined. For the other two QTGMC() is best. Yadif(mode=1) is of lesser quality but much faster. Only you can answer that question. It's a value judgement.
    I donīt think for me it worths to use QTGMC because of the small percent of better qualityand in total there are about 200 episodes.

Why bother reencoding them at all? Most devices can play interlaced AVC properly. You should just remux them to MP4 or MKV if your players don't support TS.
    Because it lags and freezes when I jump to another minute, even if i remux them to mkv and the wdtv, as far as I know, canīt even deinterlace.

Not as easy as i hoped it would be.

Greetings from germany
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by trispel View Post
    I expected that the best solution would be avisynth and already looked at it but after it wouldnīt even load the ts files
    You need a source filter for TS files. LSMASMSource's LWLibavVideoSource() will work. Or ffmpegSoure's ffVideoSource().

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/LSMASHSource
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/FFmpegSource

Handbrake's Deinterlaceecomb should work OK for sample1. Though the full video may have fully interlaced sections like the other samples. It's probably safest to yadif+bob.

Pauses while seeking will be a problem with any long GOP HD encoding.

My old WDTV Live had adequate deinterlacing.
    Quote Quote