VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! My Samsung DVD player started acting up---it's about 8 years old, so I decided it was time for a new one. I researched and discovered the Sony DVP-SR510H. It has good ratings and a good price---I found one for $30. I set it up, put a disc in and nothing happened. The old Samsung, once I turned the power on immediately switched from the TV to the player. I putzed around and found that I had to go into the Samsung TV settings and switch to HDMI, and then the player plays. The documentation with the Sony player isn't very helpful. At the top of the remote I have a button to open the tray, TV input, TV I/O, and the power button. Should I press one of these buttons---maybe the TV I/O one to set up automatic use? Or is there some other place I have to go to to set up the automatic use? The player plays beautifully, but I would like it to start when I hit the power button while the TV is on. Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe the Samsung DVD player has Anynet+, Samsung's version of HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). When it's powered on, a Samsung DVD player with Anynet+ turned on in its settings can send a signal via HDMI power on the TV and switch the TV to the correct input (especially if it is a Samsung TV). The Sony DVP-SR510H's manual doesn't appear to include a section related to Bravia Sync, Sony's version of HDMI-CEC.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Aug 2022 at 16:47.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the response I assumed that every player automatically would start up. I guess it's a good thing that I figured out to go to Source on the TV and switch to HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Blakes7 View Post
    Thanks for the response I assumed that every player automatically would start up.
    Most modern players support HDMI CEC. I guess you picked one that doesn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI_CEC

Originally Posted by Blakes7 View Post
    I guess it's a good thing that I figured out to go to Source on the TV and switch to HDMI.
    That's the way it used to be with most devices before HDMI CEC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the response. Like I said, the manual for this DVD player is sorely lacking in info. There's probably a setting somewhere---I just don't know where, and since it works, I'm not going to fool around with the settings.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sony is one of the worst when it comes to "not invented here" technologies. Sony calls it CEC "Bravia Sync". It's available in at least some of their Blu-ray players.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/home-video-dvd-players-recorders/dvp-sr510h/a...icles/00161073

There's mention of Bravia Sync in any of the advertising or manual for your DVD player. I doubt it supports it. If your TV has a dedicated "BVD/BD" HDMI port try using that. Or if you can rename the port as such, do so.
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Aug 2022 at 10:03.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the responses. I just found in custom settings auto start and enabled it. However, there's no change. So I guess it only works proprietarily with a Sony TV. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The manual says the following in its Custom Menu section:
    AUTO PLAY: When set to “ON,” the player automatically starts playback when the player is turned on.
    Since the manual does not indicate that "Auto Play" turns on the TV and switches it to the correct HDMI port, I don't think even a Sony TV would react the way you want.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, it appears the player lacks any support for HDMI CEC or Bravia Sync.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the responses. With the TV on, if I turn the power on the player, it still doesn't start up. It only works when I switch the TV to HDMI. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Blakes7 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. With the TV on, if I turn the power on the player, it still doesn't start up.
    Since you enabled the DVD player's autoplay option it's probably playing the DVD.

Originally Posted by Blakes7 View Post
    It only works when I switch the TV to HDMI.
    You just don't see what the DVD player is playing because the TV is showing you another input (cable box, satellite receiver, etc.). Without CEC the TV doesn't automatically switch to its DVD input, it just keeps displaying whatever input it was set to.
    Quote Quote