VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I have a video file that's at a 720p resolution and I wanted to re-encode it to 1080. I am using Video To Video to do the job and wondering what format gives better quality M2TS or AVCHD? I'm asking because I noticed M2TS encodes A LOT faster than AVCHD does so if I could just encode in M2TS and get equal or better quality that would be great and it would save a lot of time. Thanks all for helping. By the way this is assuming that the bitrates and resolution are exactly the same in both formats.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Cudder12 View Post
    So I have a video file that's at a 720p resolution and I wanted to re-encode it to 1080.
    Why?

Originally Posted by Cudder12 View Post
    I am using Video To Video to do the job and wondering what format gives better quality M2TS or AVCHD?
    Just try a short sample of each with identical high motion footage and see which you prefer. You can also check if the file sizes match.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You should read up on what hd files and formats are,you won't get better quality using different formats or resizing.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    So I have a video file that's at a 720p resolution and I wanted to re-encode it to 1080. I am using Video To Video to do the job and wondering what format gives better quality M2TS or AVCHD? I'm asking because I noticed M2TS encodes A LOT faster than AVCHD does so if I could just encode in M2TS and get equal or better quality that would be great and it would save a lot of time. Thanks all for helping. By the way this is assuming that the bitrates and resolution are exactly the same in both formats.
    Yep, I have to agree with other comments. You might want to read up on exactly what video re-encoding means -- it doesn't mean you just run something like WinZIP or RAR on a file. Re-encoding/resizing doesn't automatically improve anything. Without special precautions and skills, they usually accomplish the opposite. Start with getting a handle on the differences between a container (m2t, m2ts) and an encoding format (AVCHD).

If your "720p" video runs at either 50 or 59.94 fps, it isn't compatible with 1920x1080 specs, neither for BluRay nor AVCHD, unless all you want for playback is a computer. Your 720p video would have to be resized and then interlaced at 29.97 or 25fps to be m2ts compatible at 1920x1080. The only valid progressive video frame rates for 1920x1080 are film-base speeds (23.976 or 24fps).

If your "720p" is an oddball format that already runs at 29.97 or 25 fps progressive, then it's already incompatible with specs for 1280x720 standard as well as incompatible with specs for 1920x1080. You might be able to get away with it at 1920x1080 by encoding it as interlaced -- known as "fake interlace" in the encoding business, and often done at retail with so-so results, which is simply a flag in the video that tells standard playback hardware to play the video as if it were interlaced.

You might want to look up the BluRay/AVCHD structure standards: https://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech
    And the encoding standards: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154533
    Last edited by LMotlow; 2nd Dec 2014 at 05:53.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok thank you all for the comments, but for those of you saying that you don't gain quality I'd have to respectfully disagree. I have made rips of my movies in both 720p and 1080p format and the 1080p has ALWAYS looked better. Even when re-encoded to upscale to 1080. Sure it's a slight difference but I can tell. Same goes for the video bitrate of each. I have noticed that the same bitrate at differrent resolutions can look better or worse. This is obviously all based on my own opinion and I don't speak for no one else, but either I need to get my eyes checked or there certainly is a difference when it comes to resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    From what you say, getting your eye checked will make no difference.
    Enjoy.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cudder12 View Post
    This is obviously all based on my own opinion and I don't speak for no one else, but either I need to get my eyes checked or there certainly is a difference when it comes to resolution.
    If you've convinced yourself it's better, that's all that matters. What's your verdict on your original question, m2ts or AVCHD?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    This is obviously all based on my own opinion and I don't speak for no one else, but either I need to get my eyes checked or there certainly is a difference when it comes to resolution.
    If you've convinced yourself it's better, that's all that matters. What's your verdict on your original question, m2ts or AVCHD?
    AVCHD format looks better and has a smaller file size but takes like 5 hours to encode even on my i7 laptop. Oh well, I guess it's worth the extra wait for better quality.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    either I need to get my eyes checked or there certainly is a difference when it comes to resolution.
    There's no more "detail" at 1920x1080 than your 1280x720 started with. Figure you lost about 20% (or more) of your original data by lossy re-encoding. Not to mention 5 hours or so. Whatever makes you happy.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!