VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I ripped the audio from an avi file, I than saved it as AC3, now im using Headac3he to take it from AC3 to WAV so I can use it as the audio source while im converting the avi file to vcd format ... In Headac3he I got the following error message "Bad Syncword at frame 86763! The AC3 stream is probably corrupt." Than it aborted ... Anything I can do to fix this or suggestions on another way to convert my ac3 to wav?

Thanks
    Anthony
    Quote Quote  
  2. why are you converting the avi audio to ac3?
    You can demux the audio from an avi as uncompressed wav straight away using VirtualDub.
    Open your avi file, then go to File -> Save Wav.

You will now have your uncompressed wav that you can do with as you wish.

You can then put it in TMPGEnc with the video to create a compliant VCD
    Quote Quote  
  3. Because this tutorial for Virtual Dub says If the source have AC3 (5 channels) audio you must also use headac3he.

https://www.videohelp.com/virtualdubaudio.htm.#2channels

I guess I can try converting straight to wav from Virtual Dub but it says not to.
    Anthony
    Quote Quote  
  4. VirtualDub often just saves the audio as an ac3 file with a wav extension - which can lead to some confusion! Someone else (was it Mats?) made a point about asking the developers to sort this out - as it is so misleading. I don't think VirtualDubMod or VirtualDub-MPEG2 have this problem, but I can't remember.

If there are problems doing it the proper way, try opening your original avi file in GoldWave, then Save as.. a wav.

This will convert and save the audio stream as a normal PCM wav.

You may want to normalise it as well (in GoldWave, Volume->Maximise), as conversions from ac3 often come out very quiet.

cheers,
    mcdruid.
    Quote Quote