VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

Over the past month or so, I've been perusing various sites in search of some information -- really, I just need a definitive guide (or at least some direction) for converting a fully-ripped Bluray movie into an uncompressed MKV file. You all are ostensibly well-informed in this and many more areas, so these forums seem to be the logical source for help.

My current library consists of many movies (read: more than a few TB's) ranging in quality from a few GB's up to 40-or-so GB files. All of these files have been converted by myself to MKV's. As of right now, I am working to archive my Bluray discs, and, while everything seems to be going well, I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be doing something incorrectly. I am concerned that I am wasting a lot of time in producing defective files and/or doing so in a manner that is inefficient because I have been converting these Blurays at my own discretion, largely without any guidance. I have only watched a small fraction of the files that I have produced, so I don't know if everything is working as I hope it is. I attribute much of my suspicion not only to my own lack of knowledge but also to the occasional failure of my process. Quite simply, I am unable to convert some of my disc data into MKV's -- sometimes the resulting MKV seems to play in slow-motion, is a few seconds longer or shorter than the stream file, or simply doesn't play at all.

As for the part of my process that I'm concerned with, I begin working with the BDMV files (see: attached image of Oblivion, 2013). From these, I locate the appropriate playlist file for the movie within the "PLAYLIST" folder. I throw this file into MKVToolNix, and I reorganize the default tracks, removing any non-English audio tracks and leaving the rest intact (unless it is a foreign movie). After doing so, I remux into an MKV, which is placed onto a HDD used for a Plex server. My goal is to achieve the highest quality MKV that I can (identical to what is on the Bluray disc). I will greatly appreciate someone who is much more experienced than me providing some input regarding my process.

Thank you in advance!

-Ryan
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Oblivion Bluray Disc Files.PNG
Views:	490
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	39052  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Can you elucidate some of the points addressed in this thread regarding the use of MakeMKV in conjunction with MKVmerge?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well all I can tell you is my experience - I use MakeMKV to extract the main movie title from my Blu Ray and DVD discs - it's a one stop solution, no re-encoding just puts the movie with all audio tracks and subtitles and chapters in a MKV container.. If I want to remove any elements I then use MKVMerge Gui unticking everything I don't want. Haven't had any problems with this approach. I don't need to compress or reduce file sizes as I have about 16TB of storage at my disposal.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    If I want to remove any elements I then use MKVMerge Gui unticking everything I don't want.
    That seems reasonable. However, why are you using MKVmerge after you extract to MKV using MakeMKV rather than simply extracting only the tracks that you want the first time through MakeMKV? It seems as though you are remuxing an additional time for no reason. Also, why do you not edit the tracks using MakeMKV rather than MKVmerge even if you are going to do it redundantly?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Simply for flexibility and review. I like to keep my options open. Also running through MKVMergeGui enables me to ensure compressed headers are not in place. So basically it's a final cleanup before I transfer to my NAS and run NMJToolBox2 to collect artwork etc for my A-500
    Quote Quote