+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gillman View Post
    OMG would you just leave it alone! WOW
    gillman, he's not wrong. I have seen it myself. It was an extreme case, but that member was indeed banned, and the mods restored his deleted posts.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No deletes then my man, thanks! Just wanted clean the hater stuff up. Just hate negative comments, keep it positive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. @gillman - you have an ignore list in your profile page (which you won't use, I'm sure), and contacting another member is as easy as sending a PM.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Who's Frank ?
    Sometimes I'm Frank. Not being Frank usually results in a sore tongue. My tongue has been a little sore this week.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Gillman

I am not a hater. I just speak my mind even if it pisses people off.

I also looked at your website and if I read correctly you were a L.E.O. for many a year. I have total respect for the work that you did and if you need to contribute other topics that I feel I can assist - I am not the sort to merely spam all topics - then I trust you will not hold a grudge to me.

For this topic, and pls do not take this the wrong way since I have read extensively from these pages, I am interested in your source audio when you stated that the program has created a 5.1 DTS. It is my understanding that unless the 6 audio tracks are separate and unique, unless as in u_q's case he started with a 5.1 ac3, then the resultant 5.1 is simply one track duplicated over 6 channels.

So pls do not take this wrong. It is merely to expand my knowledge and those who might read after me.

Also that comment about a ban for deleting posts was meant as a friendly warning. Not to fall for the same trap as that guy who did just that it these forums. In fact I was suspended for many a year from one forum since I did something similar.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank for the nice comments - no grudge here

The only way for me to explain the process is how I do it. I may use the wrong terminology but here goes.

I record anywhere between 16 tracks or more of Un-encoded audio. I use Sonar Platinum to mix in 5.1 (or stereo, depends on the project)

After I mix I export all the recorded tracks into a 64 bit multichannel wave file which is 6 channels.

I can playback this wave file in Sound Forge Pro which is uncompressed at this point to see how it sounds

Then I import the wave file into an authoring program which compresses into an AC3 or a DTS encoder (now) for playback on any BD player
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just an update. Power Director will not accept 64 bit multichannel wave files. But it will accept 32 bit, 24 bit & 16 bit. I also sent the below e-mail to Cyberlink.

Cyperlink should be commended for including a DTS audio encoder with their authoring software. More expensive video editing software such as Edius Pro 8, Magix's Vegas are still using the old outdated AC3 audio encoder. I am hoping one day companies like yours will develop authoring software that accepts 3rd Party Audio Encoder plug-ins. If the consumer wants a higher end audio encoder it will be at their own expense. So much emphasis in the past years has been to develop better video editing and not audio. They go hand to hand when trying to produce a good production to burn to disc. I thank you for being so forward thinking. Finding a DTS audio encoder in such reasonably priced software is a gift. Please pass on the suggestion about audio encoder plug-ins to your software developers.

Thanks again UA!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oops, sorry - I mean UQ!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gillman View Post
    Just an update. Power Director will not accept 64 bit multichannel wave files. But it will accept 32 bit, 24 bit & 16 bit. I also sent the below e-mail to Cyberlink.

Cyperlink should be commended for including a DTS audio encoder with their authoring software. More expensive video editing software such as Edius Pro 8, Magix's Vegas are still using the old outdated AC3 audio encoder. I am hoping one day companies like yours will develop authoring software that accepts 3rd Party Audio Encoder plug-ins. If the consumer wants a higher end audio encoder it will be at their own expense. So much emphasis in the past years has been to develop better video editing and not audio. They go hand to hand when trying to produce a good production to burn to disc. I thank you for being so forward thinking. Finding a DTS audio encoder in such reasonably priced software is a gift. Please pass on the suggestion about audio encoder plug-ins to your software developers.
    I think your expectations are unreasonable. Cyberlink PowerDirector is consumer software, not professional software. How many consumers record 64-bit audio? The cost of licensing a better encoder from DTS is probably too high, and consumers don't need all those features.

DTS is less compressed and offers better audio quality than AC3, but DTS is only a slightly newer. Like many of the digital audio codecs that are widely used today, they date from the 1990s. Both were first used commercially one year apart. Technically speaking, both AC3 and DTS are outdated, since there are newer formats offering better compression, like Opus and FLAC. FLAC (2001) is newer than DTS and FLAC is not only lossless, but offers better compression than either Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD. Opus is slowly replacing AAC on the Internet. However FLAC is far less commercially successful than Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD.

There are valid reasons for the popularity of AC3 for editing software. Most people watching digital video care more about what they see than what they hear. Using an audio format that consumes more bit rate/space leaves less bit rate/space available for video. Plus, there is the additional cost of DTS licensing to consider.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I happen to disagree with you. Sure both are outdated but it is the only encoders available for reasonable priced authoring software right now. That is why I would like to see 3rd party audio encoders for authoring software that would accept different encoders FLAC included. It would be up to each individual on much he could afford for each encoder.

I would purchase this encoder presently http://www.minnetonkaaudioshop.com/epages/MASIShop.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/MASISho.../Products/SDHC which is the next step up from the first generation DTS. But it is only for the Apple OS right now. So encoders for reasonable price software will keep improving but you can bet the big boys will be one step ahead.

My expectations are also high for better hardware and software pertaining to A/V productions. As I told before I would like to talk to you in 10 years to see what improvements that have been made in the A/V world. I know 20 years ago none of this was possible or even talked about.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many here who are serious about quality encode their audio and video after editing and before authoring to have control over the process that their editing software or authoring software doesn't give them. FLAC isn't commercially successful, however there are free FLAC encoders for those who can be flexible and want to use them.

Trying to predict what will happen next year is difficult. Trying to predict what will be going on in 10 years is a waste of time, but my guess is that DVD, Blu-ray, and UHD Blu-ray, plus DTS and Dolby will all be considered legacy formats. Cinemas will still exist, but most video consumption will happen via streaming, plus various forms of digital TV. Higher audio compression will be necessary as UHD video gains in popularity within those sectors, and audiophile-quality audio will not be part of that picture.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Feb 2017 at 14:40. Reason: left out a word
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are right on your last point. People today watch & listen to A/V as a convenience and they could care less about the quality of a production. But vinyl records have made somewhat of a comeback so there is hope. I guess it does not matter what me and you think anyway at our level. We live in a capitalist country and the bottom line is money. If it makes money sell it if not let it die. But at this present time I am having a ball with this stuff!
    Quote Quote