VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using Any DVD Converter to rip DVD. I'm looking to rip to a format that is best viewed on a widescreen LCD TV. I will also view the same files on ipad2. Is there a single format I can rip to that will allow viewing on both devices? I'm thinking MP4 or avi, but I'm struggling to get the correct aspect ratio.

TIA
    Last edited by Baldrick; 12th Nov 2012 at 05:41. Reason: New title
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would convert using the free handbrake with the ipad preset/profile. Ripping with free dvdfab decrypter.

How are you playing the video on your tv? Does the tv have a builtin player or?

edit: And I changed your thread title.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I would convert using the free handbrake with the ipad preset/profile. Ripping with free dvdfab decrypter.

How are you playing the video on your tv? Does the tv have a builtin player or?

edit: And I changed your thread title.
    Hi, yes the TV has built in media player (Samsung). If I rip to iPad settings, it doesn't look good on the TV. Do you advise against using Any DVD Converter? If so, why?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, but I don't think you'll find anyone here who's knowledgeable who recommends any dvd converter. Unfortunately this is the kind of thing where you do not necessarily get what you pay for. The programs baldrick suggested are the best ones you can find that don't require you to be a highly knowledgeable video geek. And they're free.

There's a simple reason your iPad profile settings don't look good on your tv. It's a much bigger screen and thus doesn't mask low quality encodes so much. There's no software that can fix that.

In fact, one of the most common problems noobs have with handbrake/vidcoder is that the default preset is for mobiles. They don't understand that they need a higher profile to get halfway decent quality on a real screen. For a bigger screen you need the high profile and 8x8 DCT just for starters.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Sorry, but I don't think you'll find anyone here who's knowledgeable who recommends any dvd converter. Unfortunately this is the kind of thing where you do not necessarily get what you pay for. The programs baldrick suggested are the best ones you can find that don't require you to be a highly knowledgeable video geek. And they're free.

There's a simple reason your iPad profile settings don't look good on your tv. It's a much bigger screen and thus doesn't mask low quality encodes so much. There's no software that can fix that.

In fact, one of the most common problems noobs have with handbrake/vidcoder is that the default preset is for mobiles. They don't understand that they need a higher profile to get halfway decent quality on a real screen. For a bigger screen you need the high profile and 8x8 DCT just for starters.
    Thanks for the reply.

So, for LCD TV format, what settings do I use I.e resolution etc? Is there a simpe "how to" already posted for this?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are tons of guides, but there's no simple how to for the advanced encoding parameters.

Start with handbrake or vidcoder, set it to high profile, enable 8x8 DCT in the advanced settings section.

Try the handbrake constant quality mode, which is actually badly named but that's another story. Set the quality factor to 18-16. Lower numbers = higher quality and bigger files.

if you want to try the target bit rate mode, it should be at least 2300 or so for good quality. Just don't use the 1 pass mode. It's the fastest but the quality is not good. That's not handbrake's fault, it's true in general. Better quality = more time encoding, and the only way around that is to buy a faster computer.

Constant quality mode in handbrake will give you about the same quality as 2 pass target bitrate and it's much faster. But you can't predict the file size of the output very accurately.
    Quote Quote