VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to understand the conversion options.

If I convert Apple Lossless to Flac using MediaHuman and settings [stereo, 48000Hz] the files are large.
    If I convert Apple Lossless to Flac using FFmpeg and settings [Sample rate == source, Channels == source, -compression_level 0] the files are .15MB smaller.

Is this possible:
    The forced sample rate set to 48000Hz was larger than the native Sample rate.
    Last edited by jack lantern; 14th Nov 2020 at 14:17.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What is MediaHuman? If you are on a Windows machine, just download and install something like foobar2000. I use foobar2000 as a music player and it has options built in to edit metadata and do conversions. If the source sampling rate is 44.1khz, then there is no reason to use 48khz. I am not totally sure what converter foobar2000 actually uses, but ffmpeg's conversion is very high quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not sure if this answers the original question, but in general: lossless files may be compressed but they still have to track their source quality settings.
    So a mono signal would have less bitrate than a stereo signal (though this might not be fully 2x, depending on interchannel correllation). Similarly, the higher the sample rate, the more data is going to be needed to represent it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks. sounds like that was more than possible.
    Quote Quote