VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

I'm helping a friend capturing a single tape, and I encountered something I haven't seen before with my captures. It's like some sections of the videos has green/pinkish pixels that flicker (attaching). Is that just a bad tape, and is there is anything I can do about it post-processing?

Thank you!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. use this avs script to remove most of them:

AVISource("green.avi")
    assumetff()
    ConverttoRGB32(matrix="rec601",interlaced=true)
    separatefields()
    LoadVirtualDubPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\virtualdubmod1.5\plugins\Camcorder_Color_Den oise_sse2.vdf", "CCD", 0)
    CCD(15,1)
    LoadVirtualDubPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDub\plugins\msu_sharpen.vdf", "MSUSmartSharpen", 1)
    weave()
    ConvertToYV16(interlaced=true)
    orig=last
    ev=orig.assumetff().separatefields().selecteven()
    od=orig.assumetff().separatefields().selectodd()
    ev
    ue_chroma = UToY(ev).blur(0,1.5).binomialblur(5).ttempsmooth(m axr=6,lthresh=150, strength=6).KNLMeansCL(d=3,a=8,s=2,h=6)
    ve_chroma = VToY(ev).blur(0,1.5).binomialblur(5).ttempsmooth(m axr=6,lthresh=150, strength=6).KNLMeansCL(d=3,a=8,s=2,h=6)
    YToUV(ue_chroma, ve_chroma)
    MergeLuma(ev)
    ev_filtered=last
    od
    uo_chroma = UToY(od).blur(0,1.5).binomialblur(5).ttempsmooth(m axr=6,lthresh=150, strength=6).KNLMeansCL(d=3,a=8,s=2,h=6)
    vo_chroma = VToY(od).blur(0,1.5).binomialblur(5).ttempsmooth(m axr=6,lthresh=150, strength=6).KNLMeansCL(d=3,a=8,s=2,h=6)
    YToUV(uo_chroma, vo_chroma)
    MergeLuma(od)
    od_filtered=last
    interleave(ev_filtered,od_filtered)
    assumefieldbased().assumetff().weave()
    ########
    converttoyv12(interlaced=true)
    qtgmc("fast")
    selecteven()
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	nolines.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	56789  

Click image for larger version

Name:	original.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	56790  

*** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you themaster1!

It does look better. I wonder if this phenomena has a name and why it's happening?
    Out of curiosity, I used a second VHS I have. This is is a DVD-VCR Combo, so the signal is being digitized and processed by the unit. The digitization process solved it a bit differently (attached - see the flickering black lines where the green/pink were). Correct me if I'm wrong - but It's probably better to go with the first Capture with the AviSynth script. Unless the 2nd capture can be played with for better results.

Also, interesting stuff. It's the same section of video (well, 1 second less), and the first capture is 150Mb, and the second one is 32Mb. Is that because the flicker green/pink noise? it actually makes the video "bigger", because there's more information?

Thanks!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Tried to play around with it, and I can't find the VirtualDub plugin your using? Camcorder_Color_Denoise_sse2.vdf?

EDIT: OK. It's a plugin that comes build-in into Virtualdub. But the name on my 1.9.11 VirtualDub is ccd_sse2.vdf. Here's what I needed to tweak to make the script above work for me:

1. There's an extra space in ttempsmooth parameters. "(m axr" instead of "maxr")
    2. It complains it can't find a function called "KNLMeansCL". The DLLs are installed though. It seems like my Video Card is too low-end to support that function, so I removed it.
    3. The video ended up streched up strangely. I removed the last "assumefieldbased().assumetff().weave()", and proportions are OK again. Here's the final script:

AVISource("E:\green.avi")
    assumetff()
    ConverttoRGB32(matrix="rec601",interlaced=true)
    separatefields()
    LoadVirtualDubPlugin("E:\Backup\Applications\Virtu alDub\Plugins\ccd_sse2.vdf", "CCD", 0)
    CCD(15,1)
    weave()
    ConvertToYV16(interlaced=true)
    orig=last
    ev=orig.assumetff().separatefields().selecteven()
    od=orig.assumetff().separatefields().selectodd()
    ev
    ue_chroma = UToY(ev).blur(0,1.5).binomialblur(5).ttempsmooth(m axr=6,lthresh=150, strength=6)
    ve_chroma = VToY(ev).blur(0,1.5).binomialblur(5).ttempsmooth(m axr=6,lthresh=150, strength=6)
    YToUV(ue_chroma, ve_chroma)
    MergeLuma(ev)
    ev_filtered=last
    od
    uo_chroma = UToY(od).blur(0,1.5).binomialblur(5).ttempsmooth(m axr=6,lthresh=150, strength=6)
    vo_chroma = VToY(od).blur(0,1.5).binomialblur(5).ttempsmooth(m axr=6,lthresh=150, strength=6)
    YToUV(uo_chroma, vo_chroma)
    MergeLuma(od)
    od_filtered=last
    interleave(ev_filtered,od_filtered)
    assumefieldbased().assumetff().weave()
    That's without QTGMCing it. Am I'm missing something here? Also - I wonder why your using 25 frames here instead of going with the default 50 QTGMC sets up?
    Last edited by Okiba; 15th Jan 2021 at 16:26.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can remove the loading part for msu smart sharp filter.
    It's better to use separatefields+ weave for vdub filters (according to my tests but feel free to experiment)
    This video is pal 25i or am i missing something ?
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can remove the loading part for msu smart sharp filter.
    Oh right. It's being loaded but I indeed didn't saw it being used.

It's better to use separatefields+ weave for vdub filters (according to my tests but feel free to experiment)
    Oh, I see what I did here. I missed sepreatefields. That's why weave didn't worked.

This video is pal 25i or am i missing something ?
    It is. But is there any reason why not to benefit the 50FPS instead of 25FPS? I think I was mentioned before the 50FPS benefit camcorder footage?
    Last edited by Okiba; 15th Jan 2021 at 16:25.
    Quote Quote  
  7. 50P fps is ok if you intend to play on pc i guess, otherwise it's not compatible with dvd and even blu ray i think

edited for 50i/p mix..me & my head
    Last edited by themaster1; 15th Jan 2021 at 17:57.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes. It mostly to be played from PC/Streamed into the TV using a streamer. I don't plan to convert it into DVD or Blue Ray.
    Well, it's still has some rough section (some which are not in the sample I gave). But I assume that's the best one could do. I tried to run it against 1-2 straight AviSynth noise reduction (like cnr), and the results with your script and the VirtualDub camcorder noise remover were better.

What causing it I wonder?
    Quote Quote