VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, all

I did some research about progrssive scan video subject. But i still have the following questions unanswered.

Please help me out if you know the answer to any of this following questions.

- Do you need to do anything special to make your home into progressive scan? If i burn my home videos into dvd can i get progressive scan out of it?

- Do all DVD movies sold are progressive scan? Or they have special mark that says progressive scan.

- I understand that you need HDTV to get progressive scan video. But what cables do you need to get progressive scan. Component, S-Video or Composite?

-If i buy Progressive scan DVD player, then can i use it on my normal TV?

Thank you very much
    Quote Quote  
  2. To play a progressive scan you need a progressive scan DVD player and Progressive scan monitor/TV. Oh yes a DVD that is not interlaced.
    Same cables, component prefered.
    HDTV will often up convert your video to a higher resolution that matches the HDTV.

Most studio DVDs are not interlaced so are fine for progressive scan.

No marks or labels I know of to look for.

Can you play a interlaced movie on a progressive scan system? Most systems handle it because of compatability demand.

I am not clear on your last question.
    If you have a Progressive DVD player can you use it on your old TV?
    Yes, turn off the progressive scan. It will be a normal DVD player then.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bayaraa_us
    Hi, all

- Do you need to do anything special to make your home into progressive scan? If i burn my home videos into dvd can i get progressive scan out of it?

Thank you very much
    You need a progressive camera. I know Canon makes one, I'm sure others make 'em too.

Some are labeled 24P, 23.976 fps, etc. There's a few products with the 24P label now, geared towards the newer progressive cameras.

There're rather new for the home market, so there is a premium for 'em.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks K2

On my last question i meant normal TV i edited my original message.

What do you mean "Most studio DVDs are not interlaced so are fine for progressive scan. "
    Do you mean movie DVDs are authored/encoded as normal way but the image is converted through progressive scan to get higher quality? So every single dvd you put on the player can show progressive scan?

For example i author and burn my home videos and can i get progressive scan?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The vast majority of NTSC DVDs are stored progressively and contain RFF/TFF flags which instruct the DVD player to do a telecine of the movie as it plays. This converts the ~24fps progressive movie to 29.97fps interlaced, which is required on non-progressive displays. So part of the way a progressive scan dvd player works is just by ignoring this flag and exporting the movie as ~24fps just like it is stored. Some NTSC DVDs (mostly anime and tv shows) are hard telecined to 29.97fps interlaced, which means they are actually encoded that way. These will essentially be displayed on your progressive tv just like they would be on a non-progressive tv.

As for PAL, I can only go by what I have read. Most are done the same way as NTSC DVDs. They are stored at 24fps and sped up to 25 as they play. Some are hard encoded at 25fps progressive and some are hard telecined to 25fps interlaced. All but the interlaced ones will benefit from a progressive scan dvd player.
    Quote Quote