VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys, I am having a problem with a dim screen. I have tried to reinstall a new display driver, but the dialog box options say I have the latest driver installed. Can I uninstall the current driver? What happens to my screen if I uninstall the current driver?
    I want to uninstall, reinstall the driver to make sure that the one installed it is not corrupted or defective?
    I installed a Linux Mint 17 distro onto this laptop on a separate HDD, and have since learned that this distro has issues with or / creating a dim screen on computers? I have also tried holding down the FN key and tapping the lightbulb key on my Dell Latitude D620, didn’t work. When using the laptop with internal battery the screen is dim, when AC adaptor cable is attached the screen returns to normal. Any ideas how to get the screen back to normal. Cheers visionman
    Health IS the first Wealth------So do not strain your eyes!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sounds more like a power saving "feature" to me. see what your setting is in control panel/power options
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Uninstalling the video drivers will only trigger the os to use universal drivers at lower resolution

For linux mint goto Screensaver & Lock settings for brightness controls > un-tick checkbox to "Dim screen to save power"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks aedipuss and Bjs both right , I fixed it very simply . I was trying the FN keys with the wrong additional key. I should have used the FN key with the arrows up and down keys. The little icon appeared and fixed the problem instantly. Albeit, after 3 months wondering how to fix it before posting!
    Many thanks guys, I was not sure what this problem was, your advice gave me the additional get up and go to have another crack at it, and for the additional info regarding Linux mint, thanks
    Health IS the first Wealth------So do not strain your eyes!
    Quote Quote