VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    I'm looking for the best and cheap device (hardware) to record and schedule (the recording) a TV program in standby too.
    I've used an external DVR recorder but I don't like to know that at a certainpoint in time it will be overcome
    by the new TV standard.
    The compatibility of the recorder has to be for the: Dvbt2.
    I don't like the TV internal option to record a program on a USB pen drive.
    What is left out there as cheap option?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by cypherinfo; 22nd Aug 2020 at 06:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    May depend on the country you live in and the local tech standards and regulations. Here in Australia there are several PVR’s available to record off air TV that cab be easily transferred to a pc or Mac, edited etc and they all record in standby. So you could set a recording for say 0200 hours and it would seamlessly record without disturbing the household. Europe, UK, Australia and most of SE Asia, Enigma2 style PVR’s are available. I don’t know about the America’s
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The cheapest solution is get a China made DVB-T2 K2 receiver/recorder like this one off Aliexpress.

Just pair it with a USB external driver from WD. It records MTS format which can be easily transfered to PC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by cypherinfo View Post
    What's wrong with it? Doesn't it just save the transport stream that's broadcast? Most other inexpensive devices will do the same. That's the best quality you're going to get.
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Aug 2020 at 20:47.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by cypherinfo View Post
    What's wrong with it? Doesn't it just save the transport stream that's broadcast? Most other inexpensive devices will do the same. That's the best quality you're going to get.
    A common complaint from Europeans is that recordings made using their TV's recording function or their set-top receiver/PVR are not playable using other devices and/or cannot be exported.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    A common complaint from Europeans is that recordings made using their TV's recording function or their set-top receiver/PVR are not playable using other devices and/or cannot be exported.
    Not so if they use Topfield or Humax etc, in Oz the same plus Beyonwiz. Certainly most “smart TV’s like my Samsung have a record function but they will only playback on my Samsung and not my BF,s Samsung. Any PVR that’s based on the Enigma 2 shareware version. Lots of different hardware models but none in the mainstream international brands. So my Beyonwiz will record on a local memory stick a local USB hdd or over a network to a NAS or PC or Mac etc. Totally flexible and records as a bog standard TS format. I could if I wanted to set it up for remote playback and set timers remotely etc. welcome to the 21st century and I’m 82 so it’s user friendly.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Not so if they use Topfield or Humax etc, in Oz the same plus Beyonwiz. Certainly most “smart TV’s like my Samsung have a record function but they will only playback on my Samsung and not my BF,s Samsung. Any PVR that’s based on the Enigma 2 shareware version. Lots of different hardware models but none in the mainstream international brands. So my Beyonwiz will record on a local memory stick a local USB hdd or over a network to a NAS or PC or Mac etc. Totally flexible and records as a bog standard TS format. I could if I wanted to set it up for remote playback and set timers remotely etc. welcome to the 21st century and I’m 82 so it’s user friendly.
    From what turned up in my Internet searches, it looks like Topfield is out of the DVR business. I'm not sure where cypherinfo lives so its hard to say how much good your recommendation of a Beyondwiz will do him/her. Beyondwiz seems to be sold only in Australia and they aren't inexpensive.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Best and Cheap?
    Cheap is Cheap.
    Best is Best.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you all for your replies.
    From your tips and my further searches, by the way I'm in Italy where is ongoing transition to DVBT2, I'm evaluating a Digital Terrestrial Decoder like the HUMAX HDR-1000T (Twin Tuner ok; but not sure if it is possible to record on USB) and Android TV Box with DVBT2 decoder integrated.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The cheapest is to use a DVB card (T,S or C) with pcie (forget USB imo) and then use a reliable software, namely DvbViewer Pro. I use that since 10 years now and happy. It has shortcomings too (especially under windows) bugs etc.., less on linux i'm told.

advantages:
    * You can record on the hard drive and then edit your recordings, burn on dvd/BD.
    * Can watch Tv (stream from your pc to your smartphone) in all your rooms using wifi / dvbviewer pro on smartphones and pc (see recording service) even outside (advance users only)
    * Put your pc in standby and then wake it up and record (i used that a lot in the past)
    among other things...
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DvbViewer Pro (paid) ?

For recording only, I use TV Scheduler Pro (free) which can use as many tuners as you have available in your PC
    Decent cards aren't cheap though, although you can match it with cheap compatible card/USB-device.
    You also have to find an EPG source for it, and set it up (not that hard).
    You can then process the .TS file captures and do what you like with them.

I don't think that's what the OP is looking for though.
    Quote Quote  
  12. RPi + Xbox One Digital TV Tuner
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for your replies.
    From your tips and my further searches, by the way I'm in Italy where is ongoing transition to DVBT2, I'm evaluating a Digital Terrestrial Decoder like the HUMAX HDR-1000T (Twin Tuner ok; but not sure if it is possible to record on USB) and Android TV Box with DVBT2 decoder integrated.
    I found the two set-top boxes below on amazon.it. Are they examples of the sort of device with dual DVB-T2 tuners that you are trying to find?
    https://www.amazon.it/Digiquest-RICD1201-set-top-Terrestre-Full/dp/B07HFCDHWP/
    https://www.amazon.it/DiProgress-Dpt220Hd-Decoder-Digitale-Terrestre/dp/B07BT743HV/

I use PCs equipped with ATSC tuners or a CableCARD tuner and PVR software for recording TV in the USA. Although I like doing that, I realize that some people would prefer a simple set-top box.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th Aug 2020 at 15:12.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Thank you all for your replies.
    I found the two set-top boxes below on amazon.it. Are they examples of the sort of device with dual DVB-T2 tuners that you are trying to find?
    https://www.amazon.it/Digiquest-RICD1201-set-top-Terrestre-Full/dp/B07HFCDHWP/
    https://www.amazon.it/DiProgress-Dpt220Hd-Decoder-Digitale-Terrestre/dp/B07BT743HV/

I use PCs equipped with ATSC tuners or a CableCARD tuner and PVR software for recording TV in the USA. Although I like doing that, I realize that some people would prefer a simple set-top box.
    Yes, thank you for your reply.
    About your option involving a PC: My recordings are almost always made in TV standby.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by cypherinfo View Post
    About your option involving a PC: My recordings are almost always made in TV standby.
    And the PVR software on the PC supports that. It will wake the computer a minute before the recording, make the recording, then put the computer back to sleep.

Back when we had cable TV I used Windows PCs with Windows Media Center and the Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime instead of paying for a cable box PVR.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    And the PVR software on the PC supports that. It will wake the computer a minute before the recording, make the recording, then put the computer back to sleep.

Back when we had cable TV I used Windows PCs with Windows Media Center and the Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime instead of paying for a cable box PVR.
    If I right understand: when I need to record a TV program will be transmitted in the night time (when everybody is sleeping) I should: keeping turned on my internet connection and my PC (in sleeping mode) after having set up the recording.
    In my case I'd prefer not to "stress" my PC since I use it all day.
    That option may be usafeul for whom has specific features.
    Thank you anyway for your interest
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

If I right understand: when I need to record a TV program will be transmitted in the night time (when everybody is sleeping) I should: keeping turned on my internet connection and my PC (in sleeping mode) after having set up the recording.
    In my case I'd prefer not to "stress" my PC since I use it all day.
    That option may be usafeul for whom has specific features.
    Thank you anyway for your interest
    The DVB T2 K2 Setop box will do schedule recording. Put it on standby mode and it will wake up and record and goes back to standby mode.
    It comes with a remote. This is my setup with a 1TB WD drive. I used to have a LG Recorder and I never look back after I have K2 Setop box.
    I saw on Amazon, DVB T2 K2 setop box is selling to about 15 Euro. I bought mine for S$28.

[Attachment 54772 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote