VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Would A Forum For DV Be Useful To You?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Would a forum dedicated to just DV (creation, shooting, lighting, effects, sharing) be useful to you on this website?

My answer:

I don't think it's needed. We have forums that already entail these iteams. I think we have enough forums right now that we need.

Poll Submitted By: Offline
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My option was not on there "NO! Everything needed is already covered in other forums"

Do we really need a forum for every format? DV. MPEG1. MPEG2. DIVX. XVID. RAW AVI. WMV. etc etc .... everything that is needed is already covered here. Adding more forums will just artificially divide information and cause more confusion than not. You think there are double-post problems now? Just wait until you see "DV editing" questions in both "editing" and "DV" forums. And it would fit ... and who's to say which one is the right forum?

Again, no.

If anything ... put up a "Videography Techniques" forum for tips on shooting, lighting, etc ... I still use S-VHS and VHS for my shooting, and the same rules for shooting apply to DV. They even apply to still photography to some degree (video is just moving stills).

For DV hardware concerns, there is already a "CAMCORDERS" area.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I honestly don't know. There are soo many DV forums out their already.
    And some insist upon you using your real name, else you're not allowed.
    But ceriously though, it's all just another .AVI source type file to either encode
    or authoring etc.

But, if you mean to create a forum for just DV caming alone, then I guess
    that would not hurt at all.. but this worries me. Cause, this site is about
    encoding to MPEG and Authoring, and now you want to "split" it into DV CAM
    and things. That will take away some of the flavor from what VCDhelp is
    all about. But, thats me.. set in my own ways. I"m Nostalgic about these
    things, so you gotta expect that from me :P

But if I could suggest a few sites that I frequent:

There is DV.COM for those interested, and also, http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/
    for a good FORUM dedicated to DV and all. Hope that helps anyone who is
    seeking more knowledge in the things of CAM'ing.. it helps me :P

-vhelp
    Quote Quote  
  4. Currently there are no real topics being posted about DV equipment, DV production methods such as story boarding, script editing, special effects or editing DV movies. A DV only forum would encourage such discussions.

It need not include capturing and authoring- that can be kept to the other forums.

I vote Yea, Yeah, YES!!

ps: I think the way the poll was written is a little biased tho.. I mean you could have made it fairer by asking "Are you a complete bastard who wants a DV only forum? or are you really really nice with sugar and spice and think such an idea is so silly as to be dismissed outright by right thinking persons"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by offline
    Currently there are no real topics being posted about DV equipment, DV production methods such as story boarding, script editing, special effects or editing DV movies. A DV only forum would encourage such discussions.

It need not include capturing and authoring- that can be kept to the other forums.
    Instead of a DV forum, wouldn't these topics be better addressed under a topic titled Advanced Editing?

Story Boards and special effects apply to all video formats not just DV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I never thought I'd agree with smurfie (so I won't give and ultimately repeat my/the reasons) but NOOOOOO!!
    Will Hay
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Previous thread: Virtually everything I do now is either via my ADVC-100 or my Sony MiniDV; a good idea.
    Will
    @ Will Hay: So what's changed?

@ everyone: If voting, please give some reasons - I see quite a few have said yes but not made their voices heard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No.

I've been capturing, editing and converting DV for over a year now using the information that's contained in the other forums. There's no need to clutter up the forums even more

Just think of DV as an avi without fancy codecs!

@Lordsmurf

Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Previous thread: Virtually everything I do now is either via my ADVC-100 or my Sony MiniDV; a good idea.
    Will
    @ Will Hay: So what's changed?
    My my, you don't miss anything do you?
    I didn't say I agreed with it, I said it was a good idea.
    As you know that's why the feedback forum is there, for suggestion and ultimately comment.
    But since you've chosen to bring my comments up...
    ...it would now appear, from further discussion, that the topic is clearly covered elsewhere and as smurfiod quite rightly points out, where do you stop?
    Anyway, I didn't realise changing ones opinion following further research was against the AUP.
    It would appear there's plenty in the AUP I don't understand
    Plus, and only echoing other comments, it would prove a nightmare for those regularly moderating the forum.

EDIT: For what its worth, a forum for "creation, shooting, lighting, effects, sharing" is something that I don't see much of on the site.
    If there's demand for it then sure.
    Perhaps tgpo should rephrase the question...

Would a forum dedicated to just DV (creation, shooting, lighting, effects, sharing) be useful to you on this website?
    NOOOOOO.
    I point and click, with a child and one on the way the last thing I have time for is ensuring my young children are set in the correct lighting.
    This idea would have absolutely no use for me, but like I say...

Virtually everything I do now is either via my ADVC-100 or my Sony MiniDV
    Will Hay
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If voting, please give some reasons - I see quite a few have said yes but not made their voices heard
    I voted: "I Would Look At It, But I Don't See A Real Need".

I do do DV capture, edit etc., but think that the info for all the steps involved is already covered in existing forums. I joined as a total newbie and am currently happy with DVD production from home shot DV, so the forums and guides etc. do work.

That said, I've seen a lot of concern over the site becoming geared towards ripping and "backing up". Maybe this new forum would help to restore a balance in the sites focus (which is, ultimately, lead by those who visit and contribute).
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  11. A forum specific to DV format, NO.

A forum to discuss camcorder techniques from shooting and lighting to editing and effects, maybe.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I vote yes! 100% of my video work is DV. I've been playing with DV for about 3 years now. You must remember that DV is reason DVD Burners were created.

It seems more people here are interested in ripping DVDs or converting downloaded Divix files than they are about creative editing of their own footage. Any nut with stripped threads can rip DVDs!

You don't have to create a new forum. Just rename the Camcorder forum to Camcorder @ Digital Video Only. Only DV related stuff allowed, no analog captures.

vhelp, Thanks for the link! I have new bookmark now.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes, definitely!

Up until last week*, I worked selling PCs, TVs, standalone DVD players/recorders, digital cameras and camcorders. With the explosion in PC ownership of the last few years more and more ordinary members of the public are starting to try video editing. Inspite of the ease with which one can create reasonable results using a DV camcorder and a fairly modest PC, many of my customers were still confused by video editing. A forum here on DVDRHELP would benefit newcomers to non-linear video editing, filming techniques and so forth. Also I would have an opportunity to give something back to DVDRHELP by sharing my knowledge.

*Got a better paid job now that will allow me to buy even more home electronics
    Quote Quote  
  14. I think a forum for advanced DV video editing and effects could be quite usefull, tips on using software such as adobe premiere and after effects, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I vote for it...
    I've been working on DV for many months and just bought a GL2. I always love to learn how to make a good video shoot and digital effects. There are so many to learn from Vegas, ScreenBlast, Premiere, Pinnacle and many appz out there. I could share my expereince with others and learn from experts here.

vcd lover
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm always for a good tip or two when it comes to DV'ing around w/ my cam
    and stuff.. I don't want to sound like I am all Lemon about it .. but

You don't have to create a new forum. Just rename the Camcorder forum to Camcorder @ Digital Video Only. Only DV related stuff allowed, no analog captures.

vhelp, Thanks for the link! I have new bookmark now.
    No problem pal.

Actually, in reading your post (3rd para) I rethought that idea. You'rs is a
    fantasic idea ..to re-word it. That's great ! :P
    Then, we can talk about CAM's .. Example:
    * Whats the best one ta buy :P and also,
    * Recommendations for Lights, Camera, Action .. I said, "Action !!" hehe..

I vote, to re-word/phrase the CAMCORDERS subject line (and description) should
    do it. Cool.. and I'm happy (if it works out ok w/ everyone) :P
    Yeah, Baldrick always does a good job at wording things just right.
    I trust his judgement :P

No need for any advanced DV stuff like Encoding and Apps and Things, cause
    really.. it's all already covered, and then some in the first paragraphs in the
    FORUM section 8)

Does the above sound good to you all, so far.. as headway goes ??

Have a great evening all,
    -vhelp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is how I voted, "I Would Look At It, But I Don't See A Real Need".

I say NO
    I am a computer and movie addict
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I see the thing is at 60% right now. This kind of poll really represents the populace that fails to think about consequences.

Example: "Would you like a 50% take refund?" .. I'm sure we'd get overwhelming YES to it. But the consequences? Less services, more taxes collected next year, etc.

The consequences of this new forum would likely result in mass confusion on where to post and lead to a new dose of double posts the likes of which have not been seen before.

Consequences, people, consequences. Think about it.

I doubt most people that voted even paid attention very much.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I voted yes, even though I would hate to clutter up this forum with too many topic choices. I got a ADVC-100 a few months ago (Yah!) and at that time was having difficulties finding DV information on this forum for conversion to DVD. The information was there, just finding it was the problem. So many people have camcorders now that this has become a bigger topic and might work better if it was seperated. Maybe an existing topic could be renamed? The subject of DV is only going to get bigger as the market for camcorders gets bigger.
    Quote Quote  
  20. How about this: Just change the search engine so that we can search for "DV?" Currently the search pukes with a message that search topics must be 3 characters or more long. Many a time I've wanted to see if anyone shooting to DV (rather than converting from other formats) is bothering to filter it. I just upgraded from Hi8 to DV and so far it looks like filtering before encoding to mpeg2 won't be necessary. Just would like some other opinions. I don't think we need a specific forum for it.
    I have nothing profound to say, so I'll just mention some things I really like (in no particular order): Tivos, Audis, Isuzu Troopers, Canon camcorders, Macs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The consequences of this new forum would likely result in mass confusion on where to post and lead to a new dose of double posts the likes of which have not been seen before.
    This is one reason, I say NO. DVDRhelp.com got too many forums right now and we don't want double forums on the same or similar issues.

Where to post should be in one place for a specific problem. It is no good to confuse which forum to post and this the negative side of it.

There isn't any need for another forum here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yamato72
    How about this: Just change the search engine so that we can search for "DV?" Currently the search pukes with a message that search topics must be 3 characters or more long.
    YES! That would be nice.
    Baldrick, can this be done, or is it simply a limitation of the phpBB code?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Yes, Re-naming Camcorders to "Camcorders and DV creation" or something similar seems best. The topic could cover the hardware and best methods of using it(camcorders, Digital8, miniDV, lenses, capture settings, shooting techniques, lighting, tripods, ....)

DV to PC captureing/encoding is already covered in other forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MachineMan
    Yes, Re-naming Camcorders to "Camcorders and DV creation" or something similar seems best. The topic could cover the hardware and best methods of using it(camcorders, Digital8, miniDV, lenses, capture settings, shooting techniques, lighting, tripods, ....)

DV to PC captureing/encoding is already covered in other forums.
    As it exists now:

Camcorders
    Everything about VHS, SVHS, 8mm/Hi8, Digital8, MiniDV and DVD Camcorders.

My suggestion:
    Camcorders and Shooting Techniques
    Everything about DV/MiniDV, VHS, S-VHS, BetaCam, 8mm/Hi8, Digital8 and DVD camcorders. Covers the hardware and techiques for using them (lighting, lenses, shooting tips, tripods, etc).

Everything else done after shooting, whether DV or VHS (or whatever) is covered in other forums (editing, encoding, etc). There is nothing really specific about DV that needs special handling or special methods. Like somebody else said, it's just an AVI with another codec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As it exists now:

Camcorders
    Everything about VHS, SVHS, 8mm/Hi8, Digital8, MiniDV and DVD Camcorders.

My suggestion:
    Camcorders and Shooting Techniques
    Everything about DV/MiniDV, VHS, S-VHS, BetaCam, 8mm/Hi8, Digital8 and DVD camcorders. Covers the hardware and techiques for using them (lighting, lenses, shooting tips, tripods, etc).

Everything else done after shooting, whether DV or VHS (or whatever) is covered in other forums (editing, encoding, etc). There is nothing really specific about DV that needs special handling or special methods. Like somebody else said, it's just an AVI with another codec.
    This is to show where DV should be, in Camcorders.

There isn't any need for another forum and this would be in one place without any confusion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This kind of poll really represents the populace that fails to think about consequences.
    I doubt most people that voted even paid attention very much.
    This is what I like about you smurfilly, you're not afriad to show how sub-standard the rest of us are in comparison.
    Will
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh no, nobody is substandard. I think you have me all wrong.

They just don't read or look beneath the surface. I don't take things at face value. If more people sat and thought about things longer than the 2 seconds it to read and 2 seconds to vote, the world would have a lot more informed choices being made. They have it in them, if they use it. That doesn't mean we all have to agree, just that we need to think harder about the decisions.

Notice how hundreds of people have voted, but only a dozen or so actually thought this out well enough to make comments in this thread (in either direction).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can those that voted 'yes' think of a single topic for a DV forum that cannot be accommodated by other forums here?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by rhegedus
    Can those that voted 'yes' think of a single topic for a DV forum that cannot be accommodated by other forums here?
    You could say the same thing about conversion which is split into newbie and advanced. Or DVD recording which was until recently 1 forum, is now split into DVD recorders and DVD writers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Originally Posted by rhegedus
    You could say the same thing about conversion which is split into newbie and advanced. Or DVD recording which was until recently 1 forum, is now split into DVD recorders and DVD writers.
    That's a no, then?

The example you give are logical sub-divisions. DV is just another video format.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote