VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for 2 shotgun mics for this camcorder. I am on a budget. I would like to know anyone's input on a mic that will fit this cam under $100 each. Thanks so much for suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    normally i'd say decent shotguns start at ~ 300 with the rode shotguns, but they have a new one that you could be the guinea pig for. the videomic go http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1012003-REG/rode_videomic_go_videomic_go_on_came...a_shotgun.html
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I guess the consensus is that it needs to be closer to $300 to be any good at all. My cam has XLR inputs too. Is that a recommended connection? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    xlr keeps line noise at a minimum
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just wondering if a handheld might be better for interviews than a shotgun? The one thing I like is no mic shoved in someones face for an interview.
    Quote Quote  
  6. How about the clip on mikes. That way there is no mike shoved in their noses.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  7. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2%7c0&ci=8533&N=4028759633+4043889159&srtclk=sort

Do you want your microphone to be put on top of the camcorder?, or youīll use a a boom pole or handheld aproach?
    From this list from B&H (sorted from lowest price first) you can see more or less the basic options. I also selected only XLR input whitch is what your camera has (yes, itīs a better more "pro" connection), remember your camera can also provide phantom power. For truly professional use (broadcast, film, et al), yes, expensive mics are the norm (Iīd even consider that 300 limit quite on the low side), good examples would be the sennheiser MKE 600, Shure VP82 or the Beyerdynamic MCE86 but for many prosumer (semipro if you will) aplications, brands like Azden or the lower priced in the Audio-Technica line work very well and they start at 149 dollars at B&H. In that list I also see the Panasonic MIC150 at $ 199.95 (if you want to match your camcorderīs make)
    For your interviews, a good compromise could be to have someone operating a boom with the shotgun mic outside the cameraīs field of view if you donīt want a hand held microphone within your frame (in that case don īt forget to consider a good anti-shock mount)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was actually planning on having the shotgun attached to the cam. Another person would be needed to run a boom and people are scarce right now. Are shotgun mics feasible or would a handheld be a better option for sound? I guess having a mic by the person might just give better sound no matter what for a much cheaper price I guess. I could live with a mic by the persons mouth I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The shotgun attached to the camcorder would work best if you can get reasonably close to your subject and thereīs no other option (like a boom, a lavalier or a handheld mic), it also depends a lot on the enviroment where you record, is there a lot of noise around? is it a quiet location?, indoors, outdoors?, etc...
    But your guess is basically right, the best bang for the buck for sound/price could be a handheld microphone, maybe somethin like this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/588405-REG/Shure_PG57_LC_PG57_LC_Handheld_Cardio...d_Dynamic.html
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would it matter if it were a handheld mic or an instrument mic? Just curious as I have never purchased one and am not sure of the difference between an instrument mic or a handheld.
    Quote Quote  
  11. i have the same camera, using a Rode VideoMic Pro at the moment, but im not overly happy with it, not sure if its working right so i need to have it checked.

will keep my eyes on this topic and see what others suggest as an alternative.

btw, i bought a telescopic mic boom pole for weddings with the Rode mic attached while recording the wedding cerimonies because i cant get too close to the subjects with my camera to capture the audio properly, and i use a long audio cable back to the camera rather than use wireless mics.

problem with using a boom pole is i need to have someone operate it for me, and it can still look quite ugly having someone near the bridal party holding the pole, evn tho its out of camera range, people in the audience dont like seeing some random person holding a mic pole in the air.

i also dont use tripods, i use my own custom made hand held/shoulder mount camera rigs because i prefer shooting in roaming mode, using the built in AF and OIS systems.

for roaming video my Rode mic is mounted to my camera on the rig, and for close up interview work i use the Rode mic camera mounted, or sitting on a table in front of the subjects.

i am looking into an alternative mic that can be connected via the XLR jack on the camera, not sure what real difference it makes tho.

hope your liking the camera tho.
    Last edited by glenpinn; 5th Dec 2013 at 09:32.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    Would it matter if it were a handheld mic or an instrument mic? Just curious as I have never purchased one and am not sure of the difference between an instrument mic or a handheld.
    Yes, there are specific diferences between vocal and instrument microphones (specially for especific applications like drums, wind instruments and so on), maybe there are sound experts around here who can go deeper ein the technical details. But I suggested the Shure mic above because (as you can see in its description) itīs a general purpose vocal microphone (like its bigger brother the very famous SM58) with good sound quality, decent frequency response (in the human voice range), good protection against handling noise, sibilant "pops", and a cardioid polar pattern that should help avoid sound and noises other that the intervieweeīs. Of course you donīt need to place the microphone very close to the speakerīs mouth (like singers do), holding it at chest level like a tv reporter will give excellent results (of course you must use manual audio level all the time for best results)
    In your fist post you mentioned you needed two microphones, do they need to be the same type or model? I was thinking one could be a hand held mic and the other a camera mounted shotgun (that can always be detached from the cam and be used on a boom or mic stand if needed), also recording a scene with two separate microphones gives you some level of backup protection and you can always choose the best sounding one in post)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would the Shure SM48 work? I found a good deal where it is on sale for half price. I know it is not as good as the 58 but just curious.
    Quote Quote  
  14. The specs are very similar (between the SM48 and the SM58), I think itīs a good deal, Shure is a well proven quality brand (an extra foam windscreen wouldnīt hurt either)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Super. I'm glad I jumped on it. I do have a question about a cardioid mic like this. How do you know where the mic pattern is actually pointing with a round mic. It has a diagram of the cardioid pattern on the mic but I just am not sure where the best voice field should be pointing to get the best pickup. Do I hold it so the mic fits the diagram on the mic?
    Last edited by ingeborgdot; 6th Dec 2013 at 08:33.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I did a quick youtube search on vidos that explain microphone polar patterns, hereīs almost the first that appeared on the list and I think itīs a good basic explanation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl3GeiXxJ7Q
    This other video is a bit more technical but also good:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cj18EQQAm8
    Last edited by julitomg; 6th Dec 2013 at 14:10.
    Quote Quote  
  17. "This other viodeo is a bit more technical but also god:"

Not God!
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    "This other viodeo is a bit more technical but also god:"

Not God!
    Sorry, wrote in a hurry
    Quote Quote