VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I've been trying to download the following video: https://www.cbc.ca/i/caffeine/syndicate/?mediaId=1921271363853

You can also find it on: https://www.cbc.ca/player/sports/olympics/sport%20climbing (The titled "Climbing - Women's Prelims")

I've tried several methods but none seem to be working as nothing is recognizing that there is a video in the links. I also saw a previous thread about using youtube-dl but for whatever reason running the .exe only launched cmd for a second and then it disappears and the command is unknown if I try inputting it normally on a fresh cmd.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by jomjomeh View Post
    using youtube-dl but for whatever reason running the .exe only launched cmd for a second and then it disappears and the command is unknown if I try inputting it normally on a fresh cmd.
    The whatever reason is that youtube-dl is a command line tool, meaning you can't just run the exe and work with it. Although there are command line tools that can work when you run the exe normally, youtube-dl isn't that kind.
    If the command is unknown when you try inputting it normally, it means you run cmd from a different folder than the one where youtube-dl is.
    This is fixable by adding youtube-dl to enviroment path, but for you it's probably better to just run cmd from inside the folder of youtube-dl.
    So
    put youtube-dl in a folder of your choice
    then in the address bar just type cmd
    it will open cmd in that folder and you can use youtube-dl from that cmd.

Use the command LZAA mentioned, and you also need a ffmpeg.exe in that folder, you can download that from here
    https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/ffmpeg-release-full.7z
    Quote Quote  
  3. @jomjomeh You could make a new text file in youtube-dl folder and write in it

@echo off
    youtube-dl
    pause

between @echo off and pause add the commands you want and change the extension of the text file from txt to bat, then run the batch file, and you will need ffmpeg.exe in the same folder with youtube-dl.exe as mentioned before.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by [ss]vegeta View Post
    Originally Posted by jomjomeh View Post
    using youtube-dl but for whatever reason running the .exe only launched cmd for a second and then it disappears and the command is unknown if I try inputting it normally on a fresh cmd.
    The whatever reason is that youtube-dl is a command line tool, meaning you can't just run the exe and work with it. Although there are command line tools that can work when you run the exe normally, youtube-dl isn't that kind.
    If the command is unknown when you try inputting it normally, it means you run cmd from a different folder than the one where youtube-dl is.
    This is fixable by adding youtube-dl to enviroment path, but for you it's probably better to just run cmd from inside the folder of youtube-dl.
    So
    put youtube-dl in a folder of your choice
    then in the address bar just type cmd
    it will open cmd in that folder and you can use youtube-dl from that cmd.

Use the command LZAA mentioned, and you also need a ffmpeg.exe in that folder, you can download that from here
    https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/ffmpeg-release-full.7z
    Thank you very much! This was very detailed and helpful!

Just wondering, what is the ffmpeg.exe file for? and would using the above command download the video in the best quality available?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jomjomeh View Post
    Just wondering, what is the ffmpeg.exe file for? and would using the above command download the video in the best quality available?
    It helps youtue-dl with a lot of things like merging video and audio streams and stuff.
    I think the command will download the best quality.
    However, if you want to see all the available qualities you should just add -F in the command, that should be written right before the url.
    That will list all the available qualities. Streams should have different names/format codes.
    Then you can use lower case -f to select streams for downloading.
    If video and audio are separate, then you'll have to use -f "format code of video"+"format code of audio".
    Quote Quote