VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've had a dvd burner for a couple months and I just got a new computer. I put my Pioneer DVR-A05 in my new dell and it won't work correctly. It's a 4x burner and it burns inconsistantly from .5x to 1.7x. I've tried changing it from master to slave and switching it in a different slot. I checked the driver info and it says its a microsoft generic driver. I looked on my instillation disc and i dont think the driver is on there. The burner worked fine in my sisters computer which is almost the exact same computer, a new dell w/ win xp. Could it be the driver or does anyone have any idea of whats wrong?

Thanks,
    Adam
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have you enabled DMA?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ya, it says use dma if available. Is there anything else it could be?

Thanks,
    Adam
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    remove the device from windows control panel (don't just disable), shutdown, then remove the A05 cable itself. reboot the machine and do another shutdown. reconnect the cable (it doesn't matter if it's master, slave or primary or secondary channel) and turn on. The device should be reinstalled automatically. Look in device properties once it has loaded the driver and check that it is using DMA. IF not, then you BIOS is your PC may be incorrectly setup...
    Quote Quote  
  5. I had two problem just like this it seem that PC that are made for you like DELL and HP can be a pain to install new hardware. my PC I built it my self never had a problem getting any thing working. I would call dell there might be a setting you have to change.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First. look on the back of the drive to see the position of the jumper pin. If it is set to MASTER you MUST use the 1st (middle) connector on the cable. For SLAVE the Last (end) Connector. Don't use the CS (cable select) On start up, enter bios and click on IDE Auto Select, It will recognize the drive. Click save and exit.
    Windows will install the drivers (XP-2000) and you should be ready to go. If you still have a problem you are probably using the wrong cable to connect ie 40 pin instead of 80 pin. I use gold anodised Ultra DMA cables Not really expensive but soft, handle gently.
    Quote Quote