VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know how to rip a Blu-ray to my PC but how do i get the subtitles with it? All the guides i find are way over complicated. I'm trying to do this for TV shows not a movie.

For example i rip the big bang theory with makemkv fire up videocoder/handbrake they see the subtitles and can put it into a MP4 file but you can not turn them on/off with vlc player, i think it's burned to the video.

Is there something i'm missing?

Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. With OCR: Try to open the mkv created by MakeMKV with Subtitle Edit, then do the OCR and export to .srt. Add the .srt into HandBrake when re-encoding (untick "burn-in").

Faster without OCR: re-encode using from the MakeMKV mkv using HandBrake without any subtitles. Then use MKVToolNix GUI to open both MakeMKV mkv and HandBrake mkv/mp4 and select HandBrake video+audio but MakeMKV subtitle (i.e. untick the tracks you don't need). Then you can turn them on/off in VLC.

(For some reason HandBrake seems to only support burn-in if you open PGS-in-MKV.)
    Last edited by sneaker; 20th Feb 2019 at 14:44.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Alternatively to OCR one can also use BDSup2Sup++ to convert the subtitle to idx/sub subtitles.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Alternatively to OCR one can also use BDSup2Sup++ to convert the subtitle to idx/sub subtitles.
    Nothing does it automatically since i have the disc? I don't mind paying since i have so many to do.

I did get it to work but the words would show to soon.
    Quote Quote  
  5. MP4 output + BITMAP subtitles = You are not going to be happy
    Realistic Options:
    1. Use MKV output container.
    2. Burn them into the video (MP4 output container), permanently.
    3. Search and download TEXT based subtitles.
    4. OCR the subtitles to text.
    5. Make a subtitle file from scratch
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by video.baba View Post
    MP4 output + BITMAP subtitles = You are not going to be happy
    Realistic Options:
    1. Use MKV output container.
    2. Burn them into the video (MP4 output container), permanently.
    3. Search and download TEXT based subtitles.
    4. OCR the subtitles to text.
    5. Make a subtitle file from scratch
    Yuck to much trouble
    Quote Quote  
  7. As a side note, since I have not problem with mp4 and idx/subs, if you have a mkv file with mp4 audio&video in it and pgs subtitles you can use Hybrid to remux to mp4 and at the same time convert the subtitles from pgs to idx/sub.
    Here's how that can be done:
    1. Start Hybrid.
    2. Set default paths. (Config->Paths)
    3. Tell Hybrid to passthrough subtitles. (Config->Automation->Passthrough streams)
    4. Set audio&video to passthrough. ('Base->Processing->Video->passthrough','Base->Processing->audio->passthrough (all)')
    5. Enable automatic output name generation. ('Base->Generate')
    6. Load the source file. ('Base->Open file')
    7. Create a new entry into the 'Job-Queue'. ('Base->Add to queue'
    8. Start processing ('Jobs->Queue->Start')
    Hybrid will then passthrough audio&video, convert the subtitles from pgs to idx/sub using BDSup2Sub++, multiplex everything together into an mp4 file.
    Especially older devices (and software players) might not support mp4s with idx/sub subtitles, for me all my devices support it so it's a solution for me, but it might not be for you.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote