VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I understand this topic has been discussed to death, but I read many articles and I can't seem to find the answer.

So my monitor is set at RGB Full. On my PC, I can use the nvidia control panel to choose whether the output is to be RGB Limited or RGB Full. Guides tell me to use RGB Full because I am using a PC monitor.

Here's the problem: When I watch TV shows/Movies on my PC, using either VLC player or MPC-BE + madvr, RGB full feels wrong. Dark scenes are so dark you can't see a lot of things. I understand that TV shows are made in RGB limited range, so I should be using RGB limited setting in nvidia whenever I watch shows. However, I also play a lot of games, does that mean I have to switch to RGB full everytime I want to play games, and switch back to watch shows? That is my conclusion at least.

Here's why it doesn't make sense: I am a noob at this, but if I understand correctly, I should just leave the settings at RGB full. If a video is meant to be played back in Limited color space, shouldn't playing it back using Full settings on a Full monitor be perfectly fine? No scaling even needs to be done right, the limited color range can be displayed on a full color monitor? Yet the dark scenes of the show look so much darker when using RGB Full.

Does anyone know what I should do? Full or limited, or maybe it's the video player/nvidia's fault?
    Quote Quote  
  2. This may look easy at first, but it is very complicated. Please read madshi's FAQ first:
    Which output format (RGB vs YCbCr, 0-255 vs 16-235) should I activate in my GPU control panel?

What hardware like GPU, Monitor do you use?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    This may look easy at first, but it is very complicated. Please read madshi's FAQ first:
    Which output format (RGB vs YCbCr, 0-255 vs 16-235) should I activate in my GPU control panel?

What hardware like GPU, Monitor do you use?
    GPU: Nvidia 750 TI
    Monitor: HP 23es https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c05076790

One thing I don't really understand though. For Full, black is at 0, for Limited, black is at 16. If everything is set up properly, is 0 on a Full setup the same color as 16 on a Limited set up?

Thank you
    Last edited by attackworld; 24th Apr 2019 at 22:08.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes 16 limited is the same color as 0 on full.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Yes 16 limited is the same color as 0 on full.
    Urgh, so after making sense of all that, basically it is okay to keep control panel settings as 0-255 despite videos being in 16-235 because the computer will take into account for that? Like the numbers will be stretched accordingly so the color remains the same?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes it will be converted and look like it should, nothing to worry.
    Quote Quote